Does anyone remember "Red's Tamales?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

honeyb

Assistant Cook
:angel: Oh, in the late 1960's, through the 70's and maybe part of the 80's there used to be frozen tamales that came in like a 6-pack called "Red's Tamales." This was also back when there were tamales in a can that you had to boil the can to heat. Red's Tamales were wrapped in a paper "husk" and you would boil them to heat them up (pre-microwave days). Red's didn't really have any chunks of meat, there was this red paste (looked like a dark tomato paste) that was meat flavored as the filling and yellow-colored masa. Does anyone remember them? I assume the company no longer exists? Who manufactured them?
Anyone got a similar recipe for "Red's Tamales" -- not just any tamale recipe will do. I can find tamale recipes. It's just gotta taste like Red's.
Thanks!
- HoneyB :chef:

Red's Tamales

Hi there....I do remember Red's Tamales...fondly. We used to get them at school for lunch. They originally had a paper wrapper and we poked a hole in them and squeezed out that great masa and paste. They later ended up in stores in a plastic wrapper. I haven't seen them in years. I am now in Southern California and I don't think that they ever made it this far. I have tasted that same flavor in something else, however........try Chili's chile. If you agree let me know. Maybe we can come up with a recipe of our own.

I just noticed the title under my user name....nobody in their right mind would allow me to be their assistant!

While they're not "Red's", you can still find canned paper-husk-wrapped tamales in nearly any/every grocery store. Although of course these days all you have to do is pry them out of the can & nuke them, then remove the mad-hot paper wrappings - lol!! I still like them tho, once in awhile. Sort of nostalgic.

tuesday is reds tamales day

boy howdy, ol Reds tamales was a bay area icon . boiled them then opened em with the built in zipper and wallah, instant heartburn. been a long time, last or similar tamale like that is garabaldis.;)

I remember Red's Tamales! I lived in Sacramento, Calif. then. I sure do miss them, they were my favorites every time I went to Grandma's house. I would love to be in on recreating them for sure.

:-p:-p Oh yes! Red's tamales were great. We could get them when I lived in Modesto about 20 years ago, but I haven't seen them since.

My grandmother used to make a wonderful "luncheon dish" for her craft circle that was the Hormel canned tamales removed from their paper and cut in thirds, mixed with a can of golden hominy and a can of cream of chicken soup. She'd put it all in a casserole and top with some grated cheese and bake until bubbly. Darn that was good. I'll still make it on one of those nights when we need comfort food.

Red's Tamales

I sure do remember these. In the '50s, we'd get them for a nickel at the school store in Alameda. They were made by John Redding in Oakland. I don't know what happened to them, probably sold to a larger company that changed the name.

I'm writing this on Tuesday, which is Red's Tamales Day, of course.

Betcha you can't eat only one.:pig:

Red's Tamales: John Redding?

This is the first time I have heard of a specific name associated with Red's Tamales. Anyone out there have more info? We still haven't found that magic recipe!:chef: and still seeking . . .:ROFLMAO:

Red's Tamales

Well, I don't have a recipe, but it was a little beef in a spiced paste surrounded by Masa and wrapped in a paper "husk." It had to be cheap, they sold for a nickel in the middle '50s when I was in grammar school. They didn't use pork because beef was cheaper back then.:pig:

Red's Tamales? Used to have them all the time - I would like to find out if they are still being made somewhere - The Girabaldi frozen tamales sort of taste like them and they are sold at Casper's Hot Dogs in the Bay Area - there is a Caspers in Fremont. They are good and Casper's used to have a great chili gravy to go on top or is that the chili I am remembering? They are great with crackers or fritos on top too - mmmmm food of the Gods!

Red's Tamales

OK, thanks. I'll try the Garabaldi tamales. There are lots of good eats I had as a kid in the '40s and '50s that you never see any more. I think Red's were bought out by someone who trashed the brand, like Eagle nuts and Mother's Cookies. I was in the Safeway the other day and saw a shelf without Mother's Cookies. How sad!:pig:

Wow this thread brought in some new people!

Welcome, anitaob, Have fork will travel, StormyMarina, bobbyrob70, honeyb and Seank!

Back on topic, I never tried Red's Tamales. I guess I moved to the Bay Area too late.

I'd like to taste Red Tamales but I am quite sure I won't find them in Italy.. will you please describe me their taste please?

I too remember, "If it's Tuesday, It Must Be Red's Tamale Day". In the "East Bay" almost every Tuesday through the late 50's and 60's was Red's Day at our house! We used to get fresh take out (not frozen or canned) I think I remember them being on East 49th St. Also there was, "Don't Cook Tonight - Call Chicken Delight" with their cool VW Bug delivery cars c/w a Big Chicken on top and the "Ye Olde Pizza Parlour" in Hayward. Places like these defined fast food back in the day. I'm sure they were all replaced by Taco Bell, Colonel Sanders and Pizza Hut. I even remember when A&W Root Beer could only be bought in "Draft" containers at the local drive up (Lights on for service). Some of the "Old Days" really were good!

Oh sure, I remember Red's Tamales...they were yummy. Not much like real tamales, of course, but we used to eat them all the time when I was growing up. And my mother-in-law (first practice husband - long, long ago) also used to make a casserole out of the Hormel canned tamales. She'd add corn, sliced olives and grated cheese on top. Pretty darned good.

Red's Tamales and change of subject

Didn't taste like real tamales, eh? Well, wadda expect for a nickel? ;)

Now, in the previous couple of posts was a mention of the "Ye Olde Pizza Joynt" in San Lorenzo. They had a fire a couple of years ago - or maybe more. Now the place is an equipment rental business and the YOPJ and it's organ are gone. My wife and I were talking about it last night. Next to Camilos in Irvington (long gone), it was the best pizza I've ever had.

Anyone know if they re-opened somewhere else, or did they just fold shop. Google doesn't appear to provide any clues.

Cheers!

Paul :pig:

Follow the red bouncing ball.......

:chef:I remember getting Red's Tamales at the Island or Alameda Drive-Ins back in the early 60's. They had meat in them then...not just some red paste. (You poor souls missed the good ones.) They were quite good. The last time I ate them was at Garfield (Martin L King) Jr High School in Berkeley in 1968. They disappeared. Sir Sedley (Bruce Sedley) came up with their catchy slogan.

i've had Tamales at South Of The Border hotter than hades!

Back
Top Bottom