"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Ethnic Foods

Old 04-26-2006, 03:16 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Does anyone remember "Red's Tamales?"

Oh, in the late 1960's, through the 70's and maybe part of the 80's there used to be frozen tamales that came in like a 6-pack called "Red's Tamales." This was also back when there were tamales in a can that you had to boil the can to heat. Red's Tamales were wrapped in a paper "husk" and you would boil them to heat them up (pre-microwave days). Red's didn't really have any chunks of meat, there was this red paste (looked like a dark tomato paste) that was meat flavored as the filling and yellow-colored masa. Does anyone remember them? I assume the company no longer exists? Who manufactured them?
Anyone got a similar recipe for "Red's Tamales" -- not just any tamale recipe will do. I can find tamale recipes. It's just gotta taste like Red's.
Thanks!
- HoneyB

Old 05-05-2006, 11:57 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

Red's Tamales

Hi there....I do remember Red's Tamales...fondly. We used to get them at school for lunch. They originally had a paper wrapper and we poked a hole in them and squeezed out that great masa and paste. They later ended up in stores in a plastic wrapper. I haven't seen them in years. I am now in Southern California and I don't think that they ever made it this far. I have tasted that same flavor in something else, however........try Chili's chile. If you agree let me know. Maybe we can come up with a recipe of our own.

Old 05-05-2006, 11:58 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

I just noticed the title under my user name....nobody in their right mind would allow me to be their assistant!
Old 05-05-2006, 01:00 PM   #4
Master Chef

While they're not "Red's", you can still find canned paper-husk-wrapped tamales in nearly any/every grocery store. Although of course these days all you have to do is pry them out of the can & nuke them, then remove the mad-hot paper wrappings - lol!! I still like them tho, once in awhile. Sort of nostalgic.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:36 PM   #5
Head Chef

Hormel makes tamales (wrapped in paper) in a can like what you are describing.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:53 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

tuesday is reds tamales day

boy howdy, ol Reds tamales was a bay area icon . boiled them then opened em with the built in zipper and wallah, instant heartburn. been a long time, last or similar tamale like that is garabaldis.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:45 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

I remember Red's Tamales! I lived in Sacramento, Calif. then. I sure do miss them, they were my favorites every time I went to Grandma's house. I would love to be in on recreating them for sure.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:08 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Oh yes! Red's tamales were great. We could get them when I lived in Modesto about 20 years ago, but I haven't seen them since.

My grandmother used to make a wonderful "luncheon dish" for her craft circle that was the Hormel canned tamales removed from their paper and cut in thirds, mixed with a can of golden hominy and a can of cream of chicken soup. She'd put it all in a casserole and top with some grated cheese and bake until bubbly. Darn that was good. I'll still make it on one of those nights when we need comfort food.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:11 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Talking Red's Tamales

I sure do remember these. In the '50s, we'd get them for a nickel at the school store in Alameda. They were made by John Redding in Oakland. I don't know what happened to them, probably sold to a larger company that changed the name.

I'm writing this on Tuesday, which is Red's Tamales Day, of course.

Betcha you can't eat only one.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:53 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Red's Tamales: John Redding?

This is the first time I have heard of a specific name associated with Red's Tamales. Anyone out there have more info? We still haven't found that magic recipe! and still seeking . . .

Tags
None