"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 02-04-2007, 08:17 AM   #11
Master Chef

I haven't made them in years, but I like the vegetarian version. I cook the rice 'til it is almost done, then add nuts (either pine nuts or pistachios), finely chopped onions, and if it is the season, some fresh herbs (if not I use Cavendar's Greek seasoning). Then I wrap and slowly cook in a half/half chicken stock and white wine.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:24 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Chefellas
I've made dolmades with chinese cabbage. I had good results. If you're going to try seskoula you might as well try large leaf spinach

Old 10-12-2007, 04:44 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

As the grape leaves are hard to find in my country, I use to make dolmades with sorrel leaves, and I also found silverbeet to be interesting as well. (Though it has not that sour hint as grape leaves and sorrel.) Also I use cabbage... but then it's quite a different dish and needs some changes of the filling.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:15 AM   #14
Sous Chef

It's not really necessary to pre cook the rice.I usually grate a lot of onion on the large holes of a cheese grater and then I mince fresh spearmint, fennel leaves, and dill, add it to the raw rice and mix it up with EVO,salt and pepper. Sometimes I add pinenuts and raisins. I put a few grape leaves on the bottom of the pot,fit the dolma tightly , cover them with water,a a bit of oil, andI put a plate on top so they don't lose their shape.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:33 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

that's the first time i've ever seen fennel leaves as an ingredient. thanks, chefellas.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 04:51 AM   #16
Sous Chef

you're more than welcome,buckytom. I use fennel leaves quite alot. fennel bulbs here are expensive while the leaves are pretty cheap. when i make hortopitta which is a pie of different greens(spinach, chard,whatever is available) i'll use a combo of dill, fennel greens and many other aromatic greens which I don't know the name of in english. it's nice to have all the different flavors popping into you mouth!
Old 10-17-2007, 06:00 AM   #17
Master Chef

I only pre-cook the rice as a short-cut. I like to make the vegetarian version because when it is a large group, it is nice to have something tasty on hand for the veggies in any group. I didn't mention it, but a touch (not a lot) of dried fruit, chopped, is also a good addition (raisins, currants, dates, etc ... but not too much) to the filling. Personally, I like ground lamb in mine!!!!
Old 10-17-2007, 09:08 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I use the meat stuffing ( or a mashed potato stuffing ) to fill zucchinii flowers. Very yummy.

Tags
None