"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 06-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
Thanks--I made about 200 last year. I used a wild rice-white rice blend (since I have so much wild rice on hand). They turned out great, and I did remove the veins. I only use fresh leaves--wouldn't know where to find those already prepped!
I'm so jealous of all the DCers with gardens and fresh produce and rice. Sigh..... Supermarket food stinks....everything is wilty and flavorless....I need to move ;)

Old 06-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal View Post
I'm so jealous of all the DCers with gardens and fresh produce and rice. Sigh..... Supermarket food stinks....everything is wilty and flavorless....I need to move ;)
I don't know where you live, but wild grapes grow EVERYWHERE! On one hand, I hate them, on the other, I love having access to all the wild grape vines so I can harvest the leaves, the grapes in the fall, and the vines for crafts.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
I don't know where you live, but wild grapes grow EVERYWHERE! On one hand, I hate them, on the other, I love having access to all the wild grape vines so I can harvest the leaves, the grapes in the fall, and the vines for crafts.
Lucky. The only thing that grows wild here is coconuts. And usually those are removed before they hit the ground to avoid injury.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:24 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Chef Lefteris Lazarou: Prawns in Grape Leaves

CWS,

Firstly, Chef Lefteris Lazarou, an Athens native, studied under the renowned Ferrán Adriá at El Bulli many years ago before returning to his Athens home to provide a vanguard take on his classic cuisine.

*** Please note: I have provided you with the Classic Recipe for Dolmades in the Ethnic Section ...

Here is his recipe for Prawns in Grape Leaves ...

32 0unces Grape Leaves rinsed, drained and stems trimmed
1 kilo of Tiny Fresh Shrimp or Prawns
Garlic Cloves ( to your taste, and palate )
1/2 cup Evoo
2 large onions
2 cups long grain rice or wild rice
5 tblsps lemon juice
3 tblsps chopped dill, parsley, fennel seed, oregano fresh leaves
5 cups water

1. heat evoo in heavy large saucepan over medium heat
2. add onions and sauté until translucent about 7 mins. and prepare shrimps apart in boiling salted water for a minute and let cool before placing in the rice mixture
3. stir in rice, lemon juice, the herbs well combined and 1 cup hot water
4. reduce heat and simmer
5. cover and simmer until rice is partially cooked and no liquid remains
6. stir occasionally and simmer 12 to 15 mins or so
7. cover bottom of a large wide sauce pan with some grape leaves
8. place 1 large grape leaf on work surface and spoon a scant teaspoon of rice mixture in each of the leaves
9. fold the bottom over, then fold sides in and roll up
10. place seam side down in sauce pan
11. repeat filling and rolling until all the rice mixture is used
12. Pour water or chicken stock over the grape leaves and cover
13. simmer over medium heat for 40 mins approx
14. using slotted spoon, transfer the rolled leaves to a platter
15. serve with Tzaziki yogurt made with cucumbers and Greek Yogurt
( see my Tzaziki recipe in Ethnic - January of February 2012 )

Enjoy CWS,

Have fab weekend.
Ciao.
Margaux Cintrano.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #15
Wine Guy

Kind of interesting side story. One of my neighbors, "Ron", grew up in Egypt. You wouldn't know it to talk to him, and it's something he never really brought up until last summer when his mother came to visit for a few months. Ron's mother doesn't speak English at all, but she came to all the neighborhood get togethers. She always seemed very pleasant, and would sit quietly and nod and smile if someone tried to talk to her (though she obviously didn't understand most of it). We came to call her "mama" because that's how Ron always referred to her.

One night, we were all sitting around our next door neighbor's patio fire pit, when I saw mama looking over the fence at my grape vines. She became very excited and began chatting with Ron. Afterward, Ron came over to me and said, "mama wants to know if it would be alright for her to pick some of your grape leaves."

I told him that of course it was alright. So she brought a basket over and, being careful not to pick too many from one spot, proceeded to harvest quite a few of the leaves.

Well, the next day she and Ron showed up with a plate full of the most delicious stuffed grape leaves I've ever had. They were so lemony and buttery.

Unfortunately, I never got mama's recipe, but I think it was similar to this one:

Grape Leaves Stuffed with Rice and Ground Beef (Mahshi Wara’ Enab) | mideats.com

I keep meaning to make it. Maybe I'll have to try it this weekend.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Steve,

Thank you for posting the fascinating anecdote and the lovely recipe too.

Have a lovely wkend.
Margi.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:45 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Steve--I hope you do make stuffed grape leaves. Supposedly you are only supposed to pick the top 4 on the vine. Don't know why. I'm picking next Saturday. Too busy this week to do them. By my best guess, I have about 2-3 weeks to get the leaves when they are about the size of my hand.

Margi--thanks for taking the time to dig out those recipes and post them!
Old 06-03-2012, 05:42 AM   #18
Executive Chef

CWS, Buongiorno,

Thank you for your lovely note. I do hope that you have seen the Classic Dolmades Recipe, I posted apart from your thread in the same Ethnic Section ... The recipe I am referring to, is a Lamb Wild Rice Filling and was given to me by the most famous Chef in Greece.

Wish I could fly over for your Dolmades ! I love them.

Have a lovely Sunday.
Ciao,
Margi.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Okay--I've scouted the grape vines--I definitely can pick over 300 leaves. I plan on doing several variations--one with ground lamb, one with my homemade chorizo sausage, one using the recipe Margi posted with shrimp, and a vegetarian version with mushrooms I found on the Internet. Should be a busy Sunday. I'm using brown rice and wild rice. Oops--forgot to pick up lemons (on special this week--2 lb for $3), so I have to go back into town since the flyer changes tonight.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #20
Executive Chef

CWS,

300 ... Wonderful ... Surely wish, you were just a little bit closer ... Lots of blue pond in between !

Do please let us know how they turn out and thanks for trying the recipe. I feel honored. Appreciate it ... Let me know how they turn out ...

Ciao, Margi.

Tags
None