"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 06-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Dolmatas/Dolmas/Stuffed Grape Leaves

I noticed that my wild grape leaves are just about the perfect size to make dolmatas again. I have 2 lb of lamb waiting in the freezer. I know we have new members from that part of the world where people make dolmatas--wonder if anyone would like to share a TNT recipe / family recipe for the same.

I think this will be next weekend's project. This weekend looks like it will be too busy for this project. I can taste them already...don't know if I can wait until next weekend, but I'll try.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
Executive Chef

CWS,

Growing Grape Leaves, WOW ! I have two lovely traditional Greek Recipes in English of course, that I could post on Saturday for you. One is a rice, currant and dill stuffing and the other, fresh prawns or shrimp ...

We have been to Greece several times, and one of these recipes is from Greece´s top chef Christof.

Is there a specific stuffing that you have in mind ? Is the lamb the main course ?

Ciao,
Have nice wkend,
Margi.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
CWS,

Growing Grape Leaves, WOW ! I have two lovely traditional Greek Recipes in English of course, that I could post on Saturday for you. One is a rice, currant and dill stuffing and the other, fresh prawns or shrimp ...

We have been to Greece several times, and one of these recipes is from Greece´s top chef Christof.

Is there a specific stuffing that you have in mind ? Is the lamb the main course ?

Ciao,
Have nice wkend,
Margi.
Margi--I'd love your recipes. Last year, I made two different batches--one with rice, raisins, etc., and the other without the raisins. I have enough grape leaves (and freezer space) to make LOTS. I think I stuffed over 200 leaves last year. The shrimp one sounds interesting. No rush--I have leaves that are almost ready and others that will be ready in about 10 days. I don't grow grapes--the vines are very invasive here, but we use the grapes for jelly and wild grape-elderberry wine and the leaves for dolmatas, and the vines I sometimes will make wreaths out of at Christmas time, if I'm so inclined and remember to harvest them and soak them on time to do something with them.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Buonasera CWS,

Pleased to hear the good news and always a pleasure to collaborate with you too.

I shall pull out the Greek Notebooks ... and go through the Dolmades recipes I had collected in Athens, Santorini, Naxos and Crete ... Then, you can innovate & create or select those that you enjoy ...

Next to Italian comfort of course, Greek is one of our favorite cuisines. We were so pleased when, they amplified the El Corte Ingles Gourmet Club Supermarket to include Greek products ...

Have a lovely evening, and I shall work on typing your recipes tomorrow.

It is already 19.30 Hours here, and need to prepare the Zabaglione dessert now for the Vet and the Cassola of fish & shellfish.

Ciao,
Margi.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

When my mom made dolma, it was always a special treat. I fondly remember the family's going for a Sunday drive and Dad's stopping by a country road and handing my sister and me paper shopping bags with instructions to go pick grape leaves from a nearby vine.

I don't make this dish though I have my mom's recipe. I count on my sister to make it and invite me over for dinner.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
Wine Guy

CWS, I'm curious... what kind of grapes do you grow? I have about three dozen vines myself.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
Head Chef

Sadly, my grape leaves come in a jar. I make Jeff Smith"s (Frugal Gourmet) recipe from one of his very early cookbooks. He said it was from his Lebanese uncle's collection. They are not sweet at all, are made with lamb and spices and given a bath of garlic lemon and water during the last 20 mins or so of cooking. We love them.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
CWS, I'm curious... what kind of grapes do you grow? I have about three dozen vines myself.
Steve--these are wild purple grapes--the same kind you find everywhere in Northern MN. My dad's grow overhanging the lake, which adds a bit of a complication when harvesting the grapes. My understanding is that you can use any kind of grape leaves, as long as they haven't been sprayed with anything (which mine haven't). Considered an invasive plant in this area. We do pull the vines off of our wild plum trees. This is foraging in the yard.

If you'd care to share your mom's recipe, I'd love to have it. These are not part of my ethnic heritage (I wasn't introduced to them until I went to a Lebanese restaurant years ago). I love them and enjoy making them. There is something very satisfying about collecting the leaves, sorting them, blanching them, and stuffing and rolling them. Although, after about four hours, I question why I had to pick so many leaves...

One of the recipes I made last year was from one of Jeff Smith's cookbooks, but I had to substitute beef for lamb--I couldn't find any lamb to save my soul. This year I planned ahead and got lamb from one of my curling pals.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
Sous Chef

I've made them before!! I am trying to remember off the top of my head but i took par boiled basmati rice, mixed with raw ground lamb, puréed raw onion, toasted pine nuts, allspice??? salt. I guess you can season how you like. Make sure you cut out the leaf vein so it's not tough and rinse off the brine if not using fresh leaves. Roll it up by first folding in the sides and then rolling. Place a few leaves on the bottom of a saucepan (so the Dolma dont stick). Tightly layer in sauce pan. Cover with stock of choice. Weigh it down with a plate with something heavy on it. Cover. Simner till done which I think is about 40 mins. Good luck. Now I'm in the mood to make some
Old 06-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal View Post
I've made them before!! I am trying to remember off the top of my head but i took par boiled basmati rice, mixed with raw ground lamb, puréed raw onion, toasted pine nuts, allspice??? salt. I guess you can season how you like. Make sure you cut out the leaf vein so it's not tough and rinse off the brine if not using fresh leaves. Roll it up by first folding in the sides and then rolling. Place a few leaves on the bottom of a saucepan (so the Dolma dont stick). Tightly layer in sauce pan. Cover with stock of choice. Weigh it down with a plate with something heavy on it. Cover. Simner till done which I think is about 40 mins. Good luck. Now I'm in the mood to make some
Thanks--I made about 200 last year. I used a wild rice-white rice blend (since I have so much wild rice on hand). They turned out great, and I did remove the veins. I only use fresh leaves--wouldn't know where to find those already prepped!

Tags
None