"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 10-09-2011, 07:49 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

I would probably blanche kale because it isn't as pliable as chard. I have been searching high and low for ground lamb, can't find it. And, most of the lamb here is frozen (chops, leg, roast). If the freezers weren't full, I would buy a sheep/lamb and have it butchered. I am so envious you have access to ground lamb. These sound really good, btw.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:53 AM   #12
Master Chef

As we all are, it's a used your imagination and what's on hand thing. I happen to be clearing the fridge, garden and produce baskets of anything that won't last the couple of weeks we'll be gone visiting the parents. I'd been considering trying this all season and with the encouragement of many finally gave it a try. That's where the feta came in!

When I do cabbage, I always blanch it, it just isn't pliable enough. This is more a grape leaf type recipe, and I buy them already blanched. For years when I first moved here I had a hard time getting lamb (and veal) unless special ordering it, which burned my posterior because lambs are raised here for meat and it's dairy country (where do you think little boy cows go? They sure don't give milk!).

Another option is using rice instead of taboule, again, it was a "I happen to have this on hand, and want to make the salad anyway" type thing. I think couscous might do as well, although I might not reconstitute it before and let it absorb the flavor of the meat and poaching liquid.

There's a first time for everything!

Old 10-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #13
Head Chef

I love dolmadakia - you CAN freeze them - I tend to make over 100 of them at a time. They just need to be separated by wax paper or cling wrap.

Tags
None