Dukkah, Egyptian spice mix, When is it used?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
So while in a waiting room, I was looking through a cooking magazine and there was an article on Dukkah, an Egyptian spice mix ( Spices and nuts).

I was very interested , and being something new that ive never tasted ( or even heard about) wanted to try. Im just curious, once made, what's it typically used on or for.

Has anyone else tried it?

I viewed a few things online, just curious about anyones personal experiences.

Thanks

I have a bottle in the fridge now that I made using pistachios as the nut. I use it for avocado toast primarily, but have put it on eggs, rice, crusted chicken, salads. I skip the coconut because I just don't like it in dukkah for some reason.

Oh, Dukkah...what a wonderful addition to hummus! How I love to add you to roasted carrot or squash and ginger soup or oven-roasted sweet potatoes or beets. How I love to add you to baba ganoush...On top of Shusuka. Oh, and savory yogurt. Let me count the ways how much I love you Dukkah. Not to mention how wonderful the kitchen smells after I miss up a batch.

Oh, Dukkah...what a wonderful addition to hummus! How I love to add you to roasted carrot or squash and ginger soup or oven-roasted sweet potatoes or beets. How I love to add you to baba ganoush...On top of Shusuka. Oh, and savory yogurt. Let me count the ways how much I love you Dukkah. Not to mention how wonderful the kitchen smells after I miss up a batch.

Im sold !!! :LOL:

I have a jar in the fridge (next to another middle eastern spice mix - Baharat) - I rarely use it, but it is essential, when called for. I remember making it with hazelnuts, but I'm sure pistachios would be great.

Last edited:
So, now that we are convinced that we want to try this, does anyone have a TNT (tried 'n true) recipe for it?

taxy, there are so many variations on dukkah that it's not so much TNT as what combination of nuts/seeds/spices/herbs sounds or tastes good to you.

...Im just curious, once made, what's it typically used on or for.

Has anyone else tried it? ...
I had a jar of Trader Joe's in the house. Once we used it up, I figured I should make my own. Not really sure when I'll get around to it, though :whistling:

From what I've read, it's a flexible formula of a nut or nuts (roasted), seeds and whole spices (also lightly toasted), and whatever spices and/or herbs coordinate with a particular flavor you're going for. I had bookmarked a couple of articles that might help, so I'll share them with you.

homemade dukkah recipe

How to Make Authentic Dukkah in Four Easy Steps

I never even heard of it until last week, when I was sitting in a waiting room and realized I had an old Milk Street Magazine in my bag ( that I never had the chance to read). After reading the article I wanted to try it ( and not believing I never heard of it before).

Back
Top Bottom