"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2019, 08:29 AM   #1
Master Chef

Dutch Babies, or German Pancakes

Just made these for my Granddaughters, topped with a strawberry and blueberry sauce, and a sprinkle of castor sugar. They proclaimed that they loved them more than my regular pancakes, and that they were now their favorite food. Wow.

These are rediculously easy to make, and delicious. Here's the recipe.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place 3 tbs, butter into a heavy skillet and place in oven.
In a large bowl, whisk together:
3 large ebbs
3/4 cup AP flour/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup milk

Whisk until smooth. Check the pan. Remove from the oven when the butter begins to brown. Pour the batter into the pan and place the pan back into the oven. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove e and transfer the cooked dutch baby to a serving plate. cut into wedges and serve topped with your favorite fruit sauce, or jam, and sprinkle with powdered, or castor sugar. Enjoy.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:48 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I love Dutch babies I like to serve them with sautéed apples.

Great to see you posting, Chief. Hope you and your DW are doing well.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:49 AM   #3
Master Chef

Try adding some grated parmesan cheese, chopped scallions, crumbled bacon, etc... to the basic batter and serving the finished product with salsa and sour cream or warm chunky pasta sauce from a jar.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:08 PM   #4
Master Chef

Great though, Aunt Bea. Dutch babies are cousin to popovers, and Yorkshire pudding, even eclairs. There is no leavening agent, and the puffing comes from the rich egg proteins capturing steam, which causes the the resultant rise in all of them. The cruse is thin, and fairly bland in flavor, and serves as a vehicle for the other flavors added to them, fruit and powdered sugar in Dutch Babies, rich beef gravy with Yorkshire Pudding, and popovers, and the fillings used with eclairs and profiteroles.

The idea of using them with southwestern flavors, such as salsa, or topping with cheese and peppers sounds like a winner, and one that I haven't though of.
Thanks of the idea. Now, I wonder what it would be like to use the cooled Dutch Baby like a crepe, and roll something yummy, sweet or savory in it, like a burrito, or stromboli. Oh, you got my imagination going, and that can be just dangerous.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:29 AM   #5
Master Chef

I prefer my recipe for German sour cream pancakes as a breakfast food, but there are many German pancake recipes! Dutch Babies are good as well.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:58 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I prefer my recipe for German sour cream pancakes as a breakfast food, but there are many German pancake recipes! Dutch Babies are good as well.
German pancakes and Dutch (a mispronunciation of the word "deutsch") babies are the same thing. Like the Pennsylvania Dutch.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:38 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
German pancakes and Dutch (a mispronunciation of the word "deutsch") babies are the same thing. Like the Pennsylvania Dutch.

No, not all German pancakes and Dutch babies are the same thing. There are also thin, crepe like German pancakes, which is what Craig was referencing.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:46 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Ah, I guess I read it too fast. Have either of you posted the recipe for the sour cream pancakes?

Tags
cake, cakes, cinnamon, eggs, flour, milk, recipe, salt

Dutch Babies, or German Pancakes Just made these for my Granddaughters, topped with a strawberry and blueberry sauce, and a sprinkle of castor sugar. They proclaimed that they loved them more than my regular pancakes, and that they were now their favorite food. Wow. These are rediculously easy to make, and delicious. Here's the recipe. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place 3 tbs, butter into a heavy skillet and place in oven. In a large bowl, whisk together: 3 large ebbs 3/4 cup AP flour/2 tsp. salt 3/4 cup milk Whisk until smooth. Check the pan. Remove from the oven when the butter begins to brown. Pour the batter into the pan and place the pan back into the oven. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove e and transfer the cooked dutch baby to a serving plate. cut into wedges and serve topped with your favorite fruit sauce, or jam, and sprinkle with powdered, or castor sugar. Enjoy. 3 stars 1 reviews