Dutch Babies, or German Pancakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Just made these for my Granddaughters, topped with a strawberry and blueberry sauce, and a sprinkle of castor sugar. They proclaimed that they loved them more than my regular pancakes, and that they were now their favorite food. Wow.

These are rediculously easy to make, and delicious. Here's the recipe.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place 3 tbs, butter into a heavy skillet and place in oven.
In a large bowl, whisk together:
3 large ebbs
3/4 cup AP flour/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup milk

Whisk until smooth. Check the pan. Remove from the oven when the butter begins to brown. Pour the batter into the pan and place the pan back into the oven. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove e and transfer the cooked dutch baby to a serving plate. cut into wedges and serve topped with your favorite fruit sauce, or jam, and sprinkle with powdered, or castor sugar. Enjoy.

Try adding some grated parmesan cheese, chopped scallions, crumbled bacon, etc... to the basic batter and serving the finished product with salsa and sour cream or warm chunky pasta sauce from a jar.

Great though, Aunt Bea. Dutch babies are cousin to popovers, and Yorkshire pudding, even eclairs. There is no leavening agent, and the puffing comes from the rich egg proteins capturing steam, which causes the the resultant rise in all of them. The cruse is thin, and fairly bland in flavor, and serves as a vehicle for the other flavors added to them, fruit and powdered sugar in Dutch Babies, rich beef gravy with Yorkshire Pudding, and popovers, and the fillings used with eclairs and profiteroles.

The idea of using them with southwestern flavors, such as salsa, or topping with cheese and peppers sounds like a winner, and one that I haven't though of.
Thanks of the idea. Now, I wonder what it would be like to use the cooled Dutch Baby like a crepe, and roll something yummy, sweet or savory in it, like a burrito, or stromboli. Oh, you got my imagination going, and that can be just dangerous.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I prefer my recipe for German sour cream pancakes as a breakfast food, but there are many German pancake recipes! Dutch Babies are good as well.

I prefer my recipe for German sour cream pancakes as a breakfast food, but there are many German pancake recipes! Dutch Babies are good as well.
German pancakes and Dutch (a mispronunciation of the word "deutsch") babies are the same thing. Like the Pennsylvania Dutch.

German pancakes and Dutch (a mispronunciation of the word "deutsch") babies are the same thing. Like the Pennsylvania Dutch.

No, not all German pancakes and Dutch babies are the same thing. There are also thin, crepe like German pancakes, which is what Craig was referencing.

Back
Top Bottom