"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 07-12-2009, 08:37 PM   #21
Head Chef

Google Chinese Cashew Chicken.

This one looks good:

Cashew Chicken

Old 07-13-2009, 12:28 PM   #22
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
Google Chinese Cashew Chicken.

This one looks good:

Cashew Chicken

thanks! this just MIGHT work...I'm gonna try it next weekend when
I have more time...I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:45 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Great. Hope it turns out nice. I'm interested to try too.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:58 AM   #24
Assistant Cook

I am new here... n glad to have found this

I am new here and I am glad to have found this. Am a Malaysian Chinese and hope that I can give some insights on Chinese cooking here, the Malaysian way.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:10 AM   #25
Assistant Cook

I cook a lot for my family during weekends including making soup (the Chinese way of course). The Cashew Nut Chicken recipe looks nice and it looks like just how I would prepare it. The hoisin sauce and the dark soya sauce can always be replaced with oyster sauce and light soya sauce if you do not want your dish to look too dark.

I do have some other easy to cook recipes in my blog too..
Old 07-14-2009, 11:03 AM   #26
Senior Cook

Ellakav, making dumplings is actually very easy. The best would be to show you hands on but if that can't be done, the second best is to show you step by step in pictures. Please check it out at the 3 parts articles at Keep Learning Keep Smiling Simple, Easy Chinese Dumplings To Make At Home (Part 1) My friends have tried it out and were able to follow through easily and liked the dumplings. Give a try. Let me know if you need further help.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassezz View Post
The hoisin sauce and the dark soya sauce can always be replaced with oyster sauce and light soya sauce if you do not want your dish to look too dark.
But wouldn't this completely change the taste of the dish? Hoisin sauce tastes absolutely nothing like oyster sauce. And their colors are identical. Hoisin = thick & sweet; Oyster = thick & salty. Also "dark" & "light" don't have anything to do with the color of the soy sauce. Depending on the brand(s) that determination has to do with the amount of fermentation (& sometimes the sodium content). The colors of both are identical.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:14 PM   #28
Mr. Greenjeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalinee View Post
Ellakav, making dumplings is actually very easy. The best would be to show you hands on but if that can't be done, the second best is to show you step by step in pictures. Please check it out at the 3 parts articles at Keep Learning Keep Smiling Simple, Easy Chinese Dumplings To Make At Home (Part 1) My friends have tried it out and were able to follow through easily and liked the dumplings. Give a try. Let me know if you need further help.
I am all over this!!
Old 07-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Jiayan Wu Send a message via MSN to Jiayan Wu
I have some experience about cooking chinese, if you are interested in how to cook chinese food, you can leave message with me, we can discuss about it.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:29 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

Hoisin sauce vs Oyster sauce...

For me, I would prefer to use oyster sauce. Hoisin sauce is too sweet for my taste. But then if I use hoisin sauce, I will then tweak the quantity used(put in less) and then put in some light soya sauce so that it is less sweet and more salty.

And I think there is a "miscommunication" about the soya sauce. Generally in Malaysia, for us Chinese, there are 2 kinds of soya sauce. 1 is the light one which is not thick and hence we name it "light soya sauce". The other one is the thick one and the colour is darker. Also, when you use the thick one in cooking, it will make the colour of your dish very dark... hence we normally call it the "dark soya sauce".. The taste of the light soya sauce is saltier and the dark soya sauce is not so salty.

Hmmm... maybe if I take a picture of both the soya sauce and post it in my blog for everyone to see, then it will be clearer?

Tags
None