"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 09-02-2004, 09:52 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Egg drop soup

:D Hey all....

I'm looking for a foolproof full flavored recipe. Please help. TIA!!

Old 09-04-2004, 10:58 PM   #2
Master Chef

I got this recipe from the website below. I have used it many times. There are also other variations on the website.

SC

Egg Drop Soup
Serves 2 - 4

Ingredients
4 cups chicken broth or stock
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 -2 green onions, minced
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
Salt to taste
A few drops of sesame oil (if desired)

Directions:
In a wok or saucepan, bring the 4 cups of chicken broth to a boil. Add the white pepper and salt, and the sesame oil if using. Cook for about another minute. Very slowly pour in the eggs in a steady stream. To make shreds, stir the egg rapidly in a clockwise direction for one minute. To make thin streams or ribbons, gently stir the eggs in a clockwise direction until they form. Garnish with green onion and serve.

http://chinesefood.about.com/library/blrecipe299.htm

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 08:12 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
some corn goes well with this too
masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 09:59 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Thanks guys!
Old 07-20-2005, 09:10 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCook
I got this recipe from the website below. I have used it many times. There are also other variations on the website.
:
:
http://chinesefood.about.com/library/blrecipe299.htm
I made this recipe last night, and it was great! The only variation was the addition of some corn.

But since I figured that adding the beaten eggs was going to be tricky, I went to the listed website, and read more detail on the best was to do it.

Canned chicken broth was used (first time I have used a Churchkey in forever ), and the empty can provided a good perch for the slotted spoon through which the eggs were poured.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EggDrop.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	247  
Old 07-20-2005, 09:13 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

I always shred a few carrots and add to the pot for color, presentation you know...
Old 07-20-2005, 10:52 AM   #7
Head Chef

My FIL would add some endive leaves (torn) to this soup when he made it. He grew up on Sumatra and was quite a good cook.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:40 PM   #8
Master Chef

Though egg drop soup is found in many variations in all kinds of Chinese Restaurants, my Chinese Chef freind in Sault Ontario assures me that traditional egg-drop soup is a mild chicken broth, almost bland, with a bit of chives, the eggs, and some salt and pepper (pepper is optional).

The recipe I use is simply a weak chicken broth (home made using chicken bones, and skins, celery, onion, carrots, salt), chives, and beaten eggs.

The key to developing those long strands of graceful egg is to mix the eggs very well, and to drizzle them into water that is not quite boiling. It must not even bubble. This allows the egg to set up in continuous ribbons, rathern than being broken up by agitating water.

If you don't want to go with the traditional, add other flavorings such as ginger, peppers, leeks, etc. And you can make the broth stronger.

But remember, the soup is served as a precurser to the main course and is used to whet the appetite and awaken the pallate. It is not the meal. And that's why traditionaly, it's served as the mild broth with eggs and chives.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None