Egg Roll Stirfry - just the guts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LKJR

Assistant Cook
after enjoying a little hole in the wall Chinese food place here in Albuquerque where you get an egg roll with your plate I had the idea of a stir fry of just the insides, since egg rolls are 2 parts the guts and the wrapper and the 2 are independently good.

So tonight I gave it a whirl and it turned out pretty good.

1 1/3 pounds cabbage, shredded (1/2 head)

1/4 cup waterchestnut, canned
1/4 cup bamboo shoots, canned
(I found these 2 in a can with bean sprouts, made it about right)

2 cups bean sprouts (1 big handful)
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 each green onion, whole, sliced & chopped
1 each anaheim chili pepper, minced
7 each shiitake mushrooms, sliced
2 each eggs
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon corn starch
1/4 cup sherry cooking wine
1 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoons peanut oil
1/2 pound shrimp

1. combine minced garlic & minced chili pepper

2. in a separate bowl combine shredded cabbage & onion

3. combine sugar, soy sauce, lime juice and corn starch in a bowl and stir to combine, this will be your stir fry sauce

4. heat peanut oil in bottom of wok over medium heat

5. add garlic mixture,
saute to bring out areomatics (about 2-3 minutes)

6. add mushrooms and sherry
cook till mushrooms are softened

7. add cabbage mixture and cook down, about 4 minutes

8. add waterchestnuts & bamboo shoots, (I used a single can that had the both of them along with bean sprouts, and just left the bean sprouts out of it)

9. add bean sprouts, & shrimp
stir and push to sides of wok

10. spray center of wok with a little bit of cooking spray and crack the eggs into the center of the wok
scramble the eggs till almost done

11. mix the contents up in the wok and add the stir fry sauce mixture

12. cook till done, I usually put the lid on when i think it's about done and take off the heat

14. serve over rice (I made a simple fried rice), the little fried things are an option as well that they serve with soups, (theory was it would take the place of the wrapper)

let me know what you think if you try it. It's something new to me I couldn't find it anywhere online. If you make any changes or recomendations please post the feedback.Bon Appetit
-Les

Gotta go with GotGarlic, would use a dry sherry, you can usually find one that says that on the label, never use cooking wine. Blech.

But the recipe sounds great. But it ain't no egg roll redux. Were it, we would have put a tent next to the restaurant and never moved. And been there begging the cook for egg rolls for breakfast.

Most egg rolls are blech. But I keep trying them because have had a few that are just fine and almost addictive.

But I gotta try your recipe. It sounds great.

There is a local outfit (was Lee's Cantonese, and is now a Mongoleon BBQ buffet) that has the best eggrolls I've ever eaten. I would swear there is cinnamon in the mix, so maybe it's just their version of a 5-spice. But I don't see "sweeter" spices in your recipe. Is that traditional?

traditional?, by far not I'm sure, I just did some searches for egg roll recipes and winged it from there. My girlfriend got Master Cook Software for christmas and we put it in there to get some idea on nutritional value, and it came out about 300 cal per serving. not including the rice of course if anyone is interested I can try to post the rest of the chart. It's only an estimate of course since I don't measure exact on most things like this.

Educate me on this sweeter spices thing if you can.

Back
Top Bottom