"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 04-09-2006, 08:20 PM   #11
Head Chef

I am with Velochic. I may also be a minority but I prefer enchiladas made with flour tortillas and not corn. I find the texture of the corn tortillas a bit dry and tough for my taste. I dont like to fry much so lightly frying the corn tortillas to soften it (per the original recipe) is also something I don't like to do and that is the reason soft flour ones work well for me. I would think no matter where you go you can definitely find all purpose flour, salt and some oil or shortening.

I guess you know the rest of the steps once you have the flour tortillas made. I am not sure if you get cumin and corrainder seeds there. If you can get some fresh cumin, corrainder and other spices it will come out great.

Old 04-09-2006, 08:25 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Rather than frying the corn tortills to soften we just dredge the tortills in the sauce and go from there .Works really well.l

Old 04-09-2006, 10:05 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I've always made me enchiladas with flour tortias too! It tastes really good and you could just be able to subsitute the corn tortias for the flour oes. good luck!
Old 04-10-2006, 02:41 PM   #14
Master Chef

I've made corn tortillas using the flour you buy for polenta (schkanze, etc) but it does fall apart easily. Otherwise I'd just use the wheat, which is what I use anyway. The corn flour for Schkanze does make a great tamale pie. I like the attitude of using what is available and just learn to enjoy things that taste different. I've lived a lot of places in my life. Believe it or not, when I first moved here I couldn't get any sort of yellow corn tortillas or chips, only white (what I refer to a "grits chips"). Now I have a Mexican grocer. I find that corn requires more sauce that regular flour tortillas.

Velochic, I once took a vacation to Slovenia, right after the iron curtain fell, for a couple of weeks. When my American freinds found out that it was very normal for me to go to a grocery store and pick up cheese, bread, etc for lunch. "How did you do the conversions from metric to English in your head!?" I'd laugh: I don't do math. Why do converstions? We simply looked for something, anything that weighed a kilo or half kilo, eyeballed it, and went for it at the deli counters. Shopping in the grocery stores was a great deal of fun.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:37 AM   #15
Cook

Thanks for all the replies everyone:) My mom liked her cheese enchilladas with flour tortillas but to me that sounds really icky lol. I just love the taste of corn though, so not sure if flour would satisfy me anyway. I actually make great flour tortillas that I started making for the first time in my life after moving here. When I started living in other countries, I really never thought food would be an issue but it sure is. I'm just one of those people who hates change for the most part and I get very attached to things the way I like them. I'm also an ultra picky eater. We actually get Doritos here in small bags so I have about 3 different tortilla chips to choose from.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:51 AM   #16
Master Chef

I always make my enchiladas with flour tortillas, & you can probably make those by hand where you are.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:00 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcana
When I started living in other countries, I really never thought food would be an issue but it sure is... I'm also an ultra picky eater.
All I can say is that you'll be a richer person (on the inside) to just jump in with both feet and live in the culture, including the food. I've spent the last 15 years experiencing "foreign" (to the US) cultures and foods and I've yet to find one that isn't beautiful in some way. I believe that I'm a better person for it. Best of luck to you. And best of luck finding those corn tortillas.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:09 PM   #18
Master Chef

Well, regardless of how you "soak" them, you're not going to be able to make corn tortillas out of crushed Doritos. The most you could do would be to make a layered casserole sort of thing.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:32 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
Shopping in the grocery stores was a great deal of fun.
I have made it a point to go into a grocery of every country I've been to, even for a visit. You're right - it is, indeed fun. And it really shows the soul the of the country. I think a grocery is more informational than anything about a country, except perhaps dining in someone's home - and even that is only a sample of one.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:17 PM   #20
Master Chef

I would imagine that, even being a picky eater, the original poster just has a taste for Mexican food.

I'm 100% Czech, & Bulgarian food, like German food, is very similar, & the ingredients are really no different than ingredients found in any American supermarket. Even the pickiest of eaters, I'm sure, can easily shop & cook in Bulgaria without having to learn new techniques or ingredients, etc., etc.

Tags
None