"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 04-14-2006, 07:51 PM   #31
DC Grandma

Arcana,
I use a pkg of Dorito chips or what ever kind I have on hand..break them up in a large bowl.sometimes I just open the bag and crush them through the bag with my hands and then pour them into the bowl..stir a large cut up onion and 1 pound of grated cheese. Pour two cans of enchilada sauce on top..stir well.
Add more cheese on top if you want to save some out for this.
350* about 25 minutes.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:52 AM   #32
Master Chef

Arcana, I'm reading over the posts in this, and since you say you're looking for a casserole-type-dish, I'm wondering if corn meal is available to you (I'm having a hard time determining what posts came inwhen. Yes, I know they are dated,but still, there are so many). In Slovenia they eat a dish called Schkanze (I'm spelling it the way mil pronounced it) made with corn meal. Much like we call polenta here. Since I don't use it very often, having a bag of corn meal flour sits on the pantry shelf for too long if I don't use it for something. So I made it into corn tortillas (which it wasn't made for, it wsn't the traditional maize that you use for that), but it was the biggest suceess in tamale pies. It was the kind of flour that Italians and eastern europeans use for their traditional corn meal "mush" dishes. Since lard is getting more and more difficult to get around here, I used a dab of bacon fat in with the water. Then I layered the "dough" with ground meat (sauteed with onions, peppers, cumin, cayenne, etc), chili-style beans, cheese. Almost like a lasanga, just with layers of the polenta type mix in between instead of pasta. I put a little baking soda in the polenta, which made it puff a little. No, it definitely wasn't enchiladas. But I was surprised (probably because I'm not a corn meal fan myself) how my husband and friends loved it. And it was not done with the traditional masa for Mexican tamales and tortillas, but the corn flour meant for schkanze and polenta.

Old 04-22-2006, 11:44 AM   #33
Cook

Well, I'm glad I didn't offend anyone and I'm sorry if I misquoted anyone. Thanks for the help Velochic, Letscook and Quizzie. I think between the 3 of you, I'll be able to make something pretty darn good.

Jpmcgrew, I've been wrestling with the idea of having someone from the usa mail me some things but it's so expensive and I figure if I'm going to bother with it at all, it's something I'd want to do regularly or else just accept that I can't have the things I like. I appreciate the offer but I wouldn't want your friend to go to any trouble and getting some things just one time would be like a tease lol. Although, I might keep you in mind for a few things that I wouldn't have to buy that often. Things like regular chili powder and cornstarch. All the chili powder here is hotter than Hades!!!
Old 04-22-2006, 06:47 PM   #34
Executive Chef

No problem Arcana chili powder doesn't weigh much at all so it's easy to send.JP
Old 04-24-2006, 07:44 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Arcana,Look what I just found.Quite by accident since I was messing around on internet.I actually have a subscription to this magazine it's a great magazine.So check it out they have a corn tortilla recipe but it uses masa harina I still dont know what the difference is from masa as to plain corn meal.But I love a challenge so we shall see what I come up anyway you might like this site.JP
http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking/...185161,00.html
Old 04-24-2006, 07:49 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Found description.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masa
Old 08-17-2006, 11:38 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

Thumbs up corn tortillas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie
I wonder if you could find the ingredients to make your own corn tortilla? here is a site that tells you how to make them..

http://www.texascooking.com/features...ntortillas.htm

I tried these homemade tortillas, and fresh really is better!! Try making chips from your homemade tortillas!!! Super nachos!
Old 08-20-2006, 07:15 AM   #38
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandoman
I tried these homemade tortillas, and fresh really is better!! Try making chips from your homemade tortillas!!! Super nachos!

LOL mandoman, I don't want CHIPS!!! I want beautiful, soft corn tortillas to make enchiladas with but, thanks anyway:)
Old 09-08-2006, 11:28 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Wow! I missed this challenge and I think I would have had a good shot at it. Better luck next time.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:15 PM   #40
Assistant Cook

Cool

They make great enchaladas also. Helps to get a cheap tortilla press also. Experiment a little,...the gain is worth it!!!!

Tags
None