Enchilada Sauce (Red)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Years ago I got an enchilada sauce recipe from Dina, a regular on DC. I have fiddled with it over time and this is the current version.

This is just for the sauce. Assemble and bake the enchiladas as usual.

Beef Enchilada Sauce

1-2 Ea Onion, peeled and quartered
4 Cl Garlic, unpeeled
2 Ea Poblano Pepper
3 Ea Tomatoes (or 16 oz. can)
2-3 Tb Olive Oil
TT Salt and Pepper
2-3 Ea Ancho Pepper
2-3 Ea New Mexico Pepper, dried
2-3 Ea Guajillo Peppers
¼-⅓ C Chipotle in Adobo
1½ Lb Ground Beef
1½ tsp Cumin
2 Pkt Sazon Seasoning
6 C Beef Broth

Place onions, garlic, poblano pepper and tomatoes (if using fresh) on a cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle salt and pepper and roast for 20-25 minutes.

Place the roasted vegetables in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and wait for 20 minutes. Peel all roasted vegetables and place in a blender.

Place dried peppers in a covered saucepan filled with boiling water (turn off the heat) and let it sit, covered, for about 15 minutes, or until the peppers are tender. Remove the stems and seeds. Place chilies into the blender with the roasted vegetables and the chipotle in adobo. Puree until smooth. Add some of the broth if necessary.

Brown ground beef in a 5-6 quart sauté pan on medium-high heat seasoning it with salt and pepper. Remove excess fat.

Add the pureed sauce, cumin, Sazon and the beef broth. Bring to a boil, and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes to reduce the sauce.

Last edited:
So wonderful. Just what I wanted. Thanks. I will copy and paste right now for myself. You are the best, and so quick! :wub:

When I made a batch of this sauce in June, I froze the extra and we used it last week. I decided this recipe needs more meat, maybe double the amount to provide really hearty enchiladas.

Back
Top Bottom