"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 04-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Enchiladas YUM TNT

These are so good. The green chile sauce is good and gives that taste of home. For the sauce combine 3 cups of white sauce 1 7oz can of mild green chiles chopped and 1/3 minced onion a sauce pan simmer til onion is tender about 15 min. Set aside. Mix4cups each of Monterey Jack and longhorn each grated Now mix the cheeses with the onion.Heat 1/2 inch veggie oil in small skillet. Dip each of 12 corn tortillas In oil to softenabout 5 seconds. Drain on paper towels. Placesome cheese on each tortilla and roll. Place filled tortillas in large flat lightly greased baking dish.Top with some of the green chile sauce sprinkle with any remaining cheese Broil til bubbly and everything is hot. Top with sour cream just before serving top al with either chives or sliced green onions
kadesma

Old 04-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
These are so good. The green chile sauce is good and gives that taste of home. For the sauce combine 3 cups of white sauce 1 7oz can of mild green chiles chopped and 1/3 minced onion a sauce pan simmer til onion is tender about 15 min. Set aside. Mix4cups each of Monterey Jack and longhorn each grated Now mix the cheeses with the onion.Heat 1/2 inch veggie oil in small skillet. Dip each of 12 corn tortillas In oil to softenabout 5 seconds. Drain on paper towels. Placesome cheese on each tortilla and roll. Place filled tortillas in large flat lightly greased baking dish.Top with some of the green chile sauce sprinkle with any remaining cheese Broil til bubbly and everything is hot. Top with sour cream just before serving top al with either chives or sliced green onions
kadesma
What is this white sauce mentioned at the beginning of the recipe?

-Damien

Old 04-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

For each cup of white sauce: 1 TBS. butter, 1 TBS. flour, 1 C. milk. Melt butter, stir or wisk in flour, add milk gradually while stirring. It will thicken up like a gravy.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:38 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
For each cup of white sauce: 1 TBS. butter, 1 TBS. flour, 1 C. milk. Melt butter, stir or wisk in flour, add milk gradually while stirring. It will thicken up like a gravy.
Thanks for the help I was knee deep in kids and cooking for everyone today and just got a chance to see your post, Thanks again
kades
Old 04-04-2011, 12:49 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Be sure to cook the flour in the butter at low heat for 5-10 minutes before adding the milk. That will take away any unpleasant raw flavours from the flour.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:16 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Thanks for posting, Zhizara

-Damien
Old 04-04-2011, 08:05 AM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Be sure to cook the flour in the butter at low heat for 5-10 minutes before adding the milk. That will take away any unpleasant raw flavours from the flour.
The longer you cook the butter and flour the less thickening it will do. I only cook my butter and flour for about a minute before adding the liquid. I like a nice light blond roux that thickens and quickly.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I don't cook my roux for white sauce and I've never noticed a floury taste. It is only a tablespoon to a cup of milk. I learned in high school Home ec., and it has been one of my best lessons, because by swapping out ingredients I can make any kind of sauce or gravy. Without lumps! i.e., bacon grease instead of butter, stock or broth for the liquid.

This is the only place where I don't cook the roux. I like my white sauce white. I also don't use pan drippings after frying. There are always some burnt bits and I don't like the flavor. If making something like chicken fried steak, I make my white sauce separately so as to avoid that burnt taste from the drippings.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:38 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
I don't cook my roux for white sauce and I've never noticed a floury taste. It is only a tablespoon to a cup of milk. I learned in high school Home ec., and it has been one of my best lessons, because by swapping out ingredients I can make any kind of sauce or gravy. Without lumps! i.e., bacon grease instead of butter, stock or broth for the liquid.

This is the only place where I don't cook the roux. I like my white sauce white. I also don't use pan drippings after frying. There are always some burnt bits and I don't like the flavor. If making something like chicken fried steak, I make my white sauce separately so as to avoid that burnt taste from the drippings.

I used the chicken fat and fond no butter to make my gravy the other night it was yummy.

Tags
None