"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 10-14-2008, 07:14 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Whas ethnic mean?
David - to me, "ethnic" in terms of food is basically food that is outside of one's own culture. In other words, food that's indigenous to countries other than the U.S. Now if I were an Indian living in India, than certain types of cuisine that are considered basic to the U.S. (southern-fried chicken perhaps) might be considered "ethnic" to me, while in the U.S., it's Indian cuisine that I consider "ethnic".

I know that's probably not an "official" definition, just how I think of it.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:34 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Grass Valley, CA

I'm so lucky to live in a Gold-Rush town of 13,000 called Grass Valley, California. We are a one-hour drive from Sacramento. However, we have Indian, Thai, Japanese, Mexican, Chinese, Italian, Latin American, and Swiss restaurants here.

I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for 32 years before I moved here to the northern Sierra Nevada foothills. I dined at numerous ethnic restaurants there.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:05 AM   #13
Master Chef

I live in village (pop. 716) across the interstate from a small town (pop 6880), and while most of our restaurants are chains, we do have a great Chinese restaurant and several mom & pop places with good every day fare. There's also a really good steak house here.
But 30 miles down the road, in Marion, are several good places to eat, including a great Italian restaurant and an Asian place, and if you drive a few more miles to Carbondale, a university town, there are all sorts of Ethnic restaurants.

Do I regret not living in a more urban place? Not at all. I'm just not a city person.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by waaza View Post
I'm smiling at the term ethnic in this context.

In India, they have McDonald's, but have changed all the crappy burgers etc. for better tasting local variants. Obviously, they can't stand the 'ethnic' offerings from the US of A!
I'd guess they don't use beef for the burgers.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:55 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'd guess they don't use beef for the burgers.
Andy,
they don't do burgers at all, because they have their own versions, a huge variety of fried kebabs. You are correct about the beef, only found in Kerala, everywhere else it's buffalo (and the 'mutton' is mostly goat).

Having said all that, there are many Indian dishes that have been adapted from other ethnic cultures, as have most cuisines, I'm sure.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:05 PM   #16
Master Chef

'ol pittsburgh is great fer thier food. not an overwhelming city; city, though.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:55 AM   #17
Master Chef

Heck, I'll even call tourtiere ethnic, and it is my family. I guess what I mean by ethnic is a food that is prepared and eaten by one culture. Something you don't get at a chain restaurant in CONUS, or if you do it is really dumbed down. one of my favorite places in Daytona was a owned and cooked by a
Czech man and his Polish wife. Yum yummmy. Then there was the Thai restaurant. And there was ... well, you get the picture. Here, in small town IL, though, it can be scarce. When we hit Chicago (every decade or so) or the QC or even Dubuque, ethnic is what we go for. For our 25th anniversary we found a pet-sitter and ate tapas and Thai. People always think we'll want to go to whatever is trendy. No, I don't want to eat what ever fusion or fashion or latest fad is. I want these mom & pop places. Also grocery stores.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:12 AM   #18
Head Chef

Having lived in both philly and new york , Ive never had the shortage of ethnic foods. One of my best ethnic food experiences was when we visited DC and ate in Georgetown. Seemed to be so much variety there. First time I evr had ethiopian food. When I plan my weekly menu here, I try to have a different cuisine each night ( Im typing this as im eating Thai soup for breakfast and preparing Aloo gobi for tonight.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:22 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
I love the diversity of cuisine in D.C., but I miss the more Pacific influenced cuisine from living on O'ahu.
GO AHEAD, RUB IT IN!

Anyway, yeah, I'm in DC also and I cannot imagine living somewhere with no ethnic restaurants or markets. I'd go absolutely nuts.

Hell, I live WAY out in the suburbs in a little community, so not where you'd normally expect to find tons of quality ethnic food, and I'm literally within a 5-minute walk to the following:

-Mediterranean/Greek (best little fried anchovies)
-French (good casual workingman's french too, best kind)
-Columbian (Chicharron!)
-Peruvian
-Indian
-Middle Eastern
-Chinese (Sichuan)
-THREE sushi spots (only one of which is worth going to, lol)
-Vietnamese/Pho
-Moroccan
-Thai (It's called "Thaitanium", lol.)
-Mexican (they have beef tongue tacos. I love this place)

Then there are some "American" spots too, 5 or 6.

This doesn't include the 3 top-notch Korean markets and innumerable small Latin and other markets within a 10 minute drive.

I cannot survive more than a day or two without kimchi, lol.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:48 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Honestly, I don't even LIKE to eat out that much.... I'd rather peruse the 'net and find something to make myself.... there's something to me about the "joy of cooking"...

But when I do want something, although I live in podunk, we're only 45 min (I dont find that very very far, even having grown up a city kid) from the "cities" with a HUGE mix of everything.... lots and lots of Asian, Middle Eastern, and Hispanic population here with plenty of restaurants.... and shops to boot. So I can either choose to eat out, or find the ingredients to make it myself.
Best of both worlds, no neighbors, plenty of food!!!!

Tags
None