"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 10-13-2008, 04:52 AM   #1
Master Chef

Ethnic foods in general

I was recently at a luncheon with my exercise buddies, and a woman asked me what I most miss about big-city, or suburban living, since I've chosen to live in this quite small town. I replied Food. We no longer even have a Chinese restaurant. My husband braggs that I can do better than any restaurant in town, but gee, I miss little ethnic places that you get in more urban areas.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:35 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

That would be a hard thing for me to give up Clair. That is one reason i will probably always live somewhere that is not off the beaten path.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:39 AM   #3
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I love the diversity of cuisine in D.C., but I miss the more Pacific influenced cuisine from living on O'ahu. I don't think I could go with out ANY ethnic food, almost every night of the week we are eating something different.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:50 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I agree, Claire. I don't exactly live in Podunk, though, but on the outskirts of a very large county. And in county, most places are national chain cardboard eateries.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:40 AM   #5
Master Chef

When we first moved to Culpeper, VA, 11 years ago, I sincerely bemoaned the lack of interesting local dining. Luckily, that's no longer the case as apparently I wasn't alone! We now have several decent Chinese, Japanese (one that's excellent), Italian, Mexican, & Thai restaurants, along with several truly above-board high-end European-bistro-type restaurants. Right now the only "mainstream" ethnic restaurant we're missing is Indian fare, & I'm sure that will come along some time in the future.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:17 PM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Breezy, I was in your neck of the woods a couple of Novembers ago cooking for a benefit, and we drove by a number of interesting looking ethnic indies in and around Culpeper. (We were intrigued by the lack of a third "p" in Culpeper. )

I too would miss the ethnic eateries that living in a large city provide. I would also not like having chain restaurants be my only dining-out option!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:34 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I'm smiling at the term ethnic in this context.

In India, they have McDonald's, but have changed all the crappy burgers etc. for better tasting local variants. Obviously, they can't stand the 'ethnic' offerings from the US of A!
Old 10-13-2008, 10:08 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I was recently at a luncheon with my exercise buddies, and a woman asked me what I most miss about big-city, or suburban living, since I've chosen to live in this quite small town. I replied Food. We no longer even have a Chinese restaurant. My husband braggs that I can do better than any restaurant in town, but gee, I miss little ethnic places that you get in more urban areas.
Whas ethnic mean?
Old 10-14-2008, 03:13 AM   #9
Master Chef

gee, tattrat, were we each other in previous lives? When I refer to these foods, DC and Oahu are exactly the places I'm thinking of. When I left Hawaii I had dreams of the potlucks we had! By the way, when I lived in Hawaii, you could get Portuguese sausage with your breakfast and saimin for lunch at McDonalds.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:19 AM   #10
Master Chef

first thing I do when I land in Houston is that my family takes me to the nearest hole in the wall Mexican food place..........I have a swimming pool margarita and indulge.......Houston is not known for the fattest city in the US for anything.....you can find ANY kind of cuisine here.......and I mean anything........how they're going to weather the economic slowdown.......hmmmm, I just hope and pray that they can hang on until things turn around........

Tags
None