Ethnic in the USA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well Andy, like I said, I may not be smart enough.
Andy M. said:
We're just having a little fun with the topic.
That's the only part of the post that makes sense to me.

Speaking of last sentences, in my post when I said "this a pretty rich and diverse cuisine," I should have said food culture instead of cuisine.

Do all of yourselves a favor & pick up some decent cookbooks on regional American cooking. Both the "Saveur" American cuisine cookbook, & the line of American regional cooking in "The Beautiful Cookbook" series should open more than a few eyes here.

Oh, & let's not forget the American cuisine cookbooks put out by Pierre Franier & James Beard.

Last edited:
I always smile a little to myself when this subject comes up. Folks are so passionate about their food and their regions that hackles go up hard and fast on this topic.

I personally think that the US and Canada are lucky to be "newer" on the scene and can run the whole gamut of cuisines. I think it was buckytom who brought up once that you can find nearly every ethnic variety represented in NY City. How cool is that?

Lots to be proud of all over the continent. I think I'm going to go have some shortbread (Ishbel are you reading this?) and some tea, and maybe later I'll make some pizza for dinner.

I would think that Hot Dogs, Thanksgiving Dinners and all the great foods that come out of New York City would be considered to be Ethnic Foods in the USA.

I'd be willing to bet North America has more ethnic diversity than any other major country in the world. Lucky for me. I'm first generation.

It's that mix that makes the foods available to us so great. Every ethnic or national group that has come here has brought their foods with them. Some have survived as they were and some have been changed is various ways to make them uniquely new world.

Some of the diverse dishes that are American in origin have already been mentioned. There are so many more.

As time goes by the mix changes as people from different areas come here. In the 70s and 80s there was a major migration from Southeast Asia, providing us all with new foods and cultures we had never before experienced. In the 90s and 00s there has been a significant influx of people from India. More great foods and customs. (I realize there is more to these newer immigrants than their foods but this is a food topic).

I can't wait to see what new stuff comes from all this.

As a distinctly NON- American, I see the question in a different light.
When I think of food in the USA, I think:
Steaks
BBQs
Submarine sandwiches
Pizzas
Hot Dogs
Burgers
Fried Chicken
Turkey with the trimmings
Sweet corn
Squash
Sweet potatoes
Chili con Carne
Caesar Salad
Chow Mein
etc.
I would consider those to be "typical" American food - not ethnic.
"Ethnic", for me, means something pertaining to a specific race, group, language, and in general a minority. So if you tell me that a dish from San Salvador is all the rage at the moment, I'd agree - it's ethnic. If you tell me of a specific dish made by the Navajo Indians, or the Eskimos from Alaska - I'd say, yes - ethnic.
I'd even consider "American Sushi" to be an ethnic dish.
Does that help, or does it just serve to muddy the issue?:ohmy: :chef:

Ethnics foods are just that: Italian, Thai, Greek, Chinese, etc.

Regional foods are something else entirely, which is what I think people are confusing ethnic with.

Where's that thread about about what food is famous for whatever area you're from? That should answer the original question.

ironchef said:
Ethnics foods are just that: Italian, Thai, Greek, Chinese, etc.

Regional foods are something else entirely, which is what I think people are confusing ethnic with.

Where's that thread about about what food is famous for whatever area you're from? That should answer the original question.
Ironchef, you are classically trained whereas I am totally ignorant on the subject. As to European foods. Wouldn't you find a huge influence in the Italian recipes of Northeastern Italy from their Germanic neighbors. At the same time were there not Southern Italian influences from Northern Africa Spain, the Middle East, and not to mention the infamous Vikings. Could we not say the same thing of all European cultures (including of course their recipes).

skilletlicker said:
Ironchef, you are classically trained whereas I am totally ignorant on the subject. As to European foods. Wouldn't you find a huge influence in the Italian recipes of Northeastern Italy from their Germanic neighbors. At the same time were there not Southern Italian influences from Northern Africa Spain, the Middle East, and not to mention the infamous Vikings. Could we not say the same thing of all European cultures (including of course their recipes).

Every cuisine has their crossover dishes and dishes that were influenced by another country, but they also have a large base cuisine which they call their own. To break it down further than that to me is just debating it for the sake of debating it. Why not simply enjoy the different flavors and foods that each cuisine offers?

Back
Top Bottom