Etouffee?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
ISO Etoufee for Shrimp.

I am still trying to figure out Etoufee.

I make lots of Cajun/ Creole dishes. But Etoufee eludes me.

I think it is supposed to be a very thin Brown Gravy, with whatever meat and veggies. The sauce should be thin ( I think), so it won't mask the shrimp, but also soak in and flavor the rice below.

I'm almost thinking like an Oriental style brown sauce.

Most recipes call for a Roux, but this usually makes a very thick Gravy.

Any Ideas on this?

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

Also, the darker the roux, the less thickening power it has, so a dish with dark roux won't be like gravy. That's one reason why gumbo has a dark roux, in addition to the deeper flavor it has.

Justin Wilson's etouffee Keeping it Real (Recipe: Shrimp and Crawfish Etouffee) | Syrup and Biscuits We've used just leftover crawfish from a boil or just shrimp or the combo like in the recipe. Doesn't matter. It's still good.

BTW, a roux can make any thickness of gravy/soup you like. Gumbo starts with a roux and it's a soup, not a gravy. Depends on amount of liquid you add.

I started reading the linked recipe and it looks like it's a Paul Prudhomme recipe according to the blogger. However, I lost track of the changes to the original the blogger was listing so I offer this alternate Paul Prudhomme recipe from his website. https://www.chefpaul.com/site.php?pageID=300&view=251

Also, the darker the roux, the less thickening power it has, so a dish with dark roux won't be like gravy. That's one reason why gumbo has a dark roux, in addition to the deeper flavor it has.

GG I once found that out the hard way when trying to make Thanksgiving gravy with my previously made dark roux. :( It was sure tasty, but needed additional flour to thicken it.

Last edited:
I've made this several times, and the consensus was that it was delicious.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Shrimp,Chicken and Andouille Étouffée[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ingredients:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]¼ cup canola oil[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]¼ cup whole wheat flour[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 onion, diced[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 small green bell pepper, diced[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 celery ribs, finely diced[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Salt and freshly ground black pepper[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 andouille sausage (about 3 ounces each), cut into ½-inch dice[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 tablespoon tomato paste[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 cups low-sodium chicken broth[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]½ pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]½ pound bay shrimp[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Steamed rice and hot sauce, for serving[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Instructions:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Whisk in the flour and cook over moderately high heat, whisking constantly, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic. Season with salt and black pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 6 minutes. Add the sausage and tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes. Add the broth and simmer until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the chicken and simmer until cooked through, 5 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook for two minutes more. Season to taste with salt and black pepper and serve over rice,with hot sauce[/FONT]

I started reading the linked recipe and it looks like it's a Paul Prudhomme recipe according to the blogger. However, I lost track of the changes to the original the blogger was listing so I offer this alternate Paul Prudhomme recipe from his website. https://www.chefpaul.com/site.php?pageID=300&view=251

Well, I thought that was it going from memory but I got the book out this a.m. and obviously my memory is not as good as I thought it was. Sorry about that. Justin's recipe is as follows, with my own interpretation of the directions.

1/2 stick margarine or butter
3 cups chopped onion (same volume measure as crawfish/shrimp)
1 cup chopped green onions
1 cup chopped parsley (we leave out as neither of us much likes parsley)
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. minced garlic
2 pounds crawfish tails (cooked, peeled, deveined)
salt to taste
LA hot sauce or ground cayenne pepper to taste

Melt butter or margarine in a large skillet. Add all the veges and sauté until onions are clear over medium heat. Add the next 3 ingredients and cook 10 minutes more. Then add remainder of ingredients and simmer for 30-45 minutes. Use cooked rice or pasta as a base.
- - - - - - - - -

We have used raw shrimp for this as well, though give it an extra bit of seasoning since the crawfish would be well seasoned from a boil. I also generally end up adding some seafood stock or chicken stock if we don't have the seafood stock because IMO there is just not enough liquid in the recipe. I have to wonder if it was a missed ingredient as the picture in the book looks like mine when I add liquid and NOT what it looks like when I don't.

Now, remember country folk, especially those from Justin's area and time, like(d) to have their food cooked very, very well, including seafood. Our son-in-law still WAY overcooks seafood for mine and Craig's taste, which is why we'll never take over $100 of raw seafood to their house again, but that's how he learned to cook it.

We don't simmer the already cooked crawfish for that amount of time and most certainly do not cook the shrimp for that amount of time. I just let the veges cook a little longer to get that flavor depth.

I did let crawfish cook the 30-45 once just to see what happened. Surprisingly enough, they weren't tough and rubbery, and there was an extra depth of flavor, but it just goes against my sensibilities to let seafood cook that length of time.

This recipe is from Justin Wilson's "Homegrown Louisiana Cookin." It's an interesting book with all kinds of recipes, even game recipes, and some cute stories told just like Justin used to talk. You just have to remember, as far as cooking times, that it was written by a good ole country boy that liked his meat and seafood very well done.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom