"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 06-26-2007, 08:24 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

The single most important thing, I think, to making really good rice is to wash it first. With sushi rice you may want to wash it two or three times, and soak it for five to ten minutes before cooking it. This makes sure that the rice is cooked and pleasantly moist all the way through.

Also, it's usually best to roll the sushi while the rice is still warm (not hot, but warm) so that the seaweed glues properly. (You can cool it afterwards.)

Old 06-26-2007, 09:18 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerian
The single most important thing, I think, to making really good rice is to wash it first. With sushi rice you may want to wash it two or three times, and soak it for five to ten minutes before cooking it. This makes sure that the rice is cooked and pleasantly moist all the way through.

Also, it's usually best to roll the sushi while the rice is still warm (not hot, but warm) so that the seaweed glues properly. (You can cool it afterwards.)
Thanks for the tips! I normally chill the rice 1st, (and must agree, it needs washed thoroughly), Ive rolled warm, didnt notice much difference, but now that I think of it, they were in fact glued more proper than attempting with cold rice. I would def. have to chill, since I dislike warm sushi rolls.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:42 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Well, it's too late now but for any spicy roll, spicy crab, spicy tuna, etc. you will need:

1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 TBS Sriracha Sauce
1/2 tsp. toasted sesame oil (the dark sesame oil - it should say toasted on the bottle)
1 tsp. orange masago (but not necessary)

Mix up and let sit for about 1 hour.

You can then determine if you want it hotter.

You can either squirt this on the roll or dice up your ingredients and toss with the spicy sauce. Either way is good.

If you really like heat you can always dot it with straight Sriracha.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:48 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerian

Well, I don't know if I agree with leaving the rice warm and then wrapping it around raw fish - unless you eat it RIGHT away.

I've always cooled my vinegared/seasoned rice completely and you have to be careful with mixing the rice. Do it in the widest bowl you have (glass or porcelain, not aluminum, and use a wooden paddle to stir. Do it like you are folding whipped cream into a chocolate mousse. From the outside to the middle and turn over (someone needs to fan the rice to make it cool faster), turn the bowl and do it again all around and don't stop until rice is cool. It might be slightly warm but just barely. Believe me, the rice will still stick to the seaweed.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:59 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

I agree. My rice preparation instructions include fanning the rice to cool it after mixing in the sweetened rice wine.

Also, you should not refrigerate the prepared rice as it will harden and crystallize.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:48 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I agree. My rice preparation instructions include fanning the rice to cool it after mixing in the sweetened rice wine.

Also, you should not refrigerate the prepared rice as it will harden and crystallize.
Ah, I see where this is getting mixed up. ^-^;; I thought you meant that you cooled the rice in the refridgerator before rolling the sushi. Room-temp (or just a bit cooler) rice works OK. It just needs to still have that pliable quality. Warm rice does work better for glueing though.

I never thought of the raw fish/warm rice thing. Do you think that the short time the raw fish is exposed to the warm rice is enough to breed salmonella etc.?
Old 06-27-2007, 10:12 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I think for that short a time the fish is ok next to the rice. I prefer my rice on the outside anyway so it never touches the fish.

And yes, cooling the rice is all down OUTSIDE the refrigerator - just by fanning and turning. I have made rolls with rice that was in the fridge and it suited my needs, which was breakfast!

Old 06-27-2007, 12:57 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Breakfast sushi Interesting. I read about this NY restraunt using seaweed in omelets.

As for the rice cooking method, I really shouldnt refrigerate....I just get excited and impatient.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:19 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

Mmm, I had the best sushi once.... Mango and raw salmon. Truly a transcendent experience.

But yes! No fridgey rice!
Old 07-08-2007, 04:21 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
Well, it's too late now but for any spicy roll, spicy crab, spicy tuna, etc. you will need:

1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 TBS Sriracha Sauce
1/2 tsp. toasted sesame oil (the dark sesame oil - it should say toasted on the bottle)
1 tsp. orange masago (but not necessary)

Mix up and let sit for about 1 hour.

You can then determine if you want it hotter.

You can either squirt this on the roll or dice up your ingredients and toss with the spicy sauce. Either way is good.

If you really like heat you can always dot it with straight Sriracha.

Thanks for the tip. I altered my recipe after reading yours. What I do is I have a jar or minced hot pepper from a chinese grocer in NY, and theres this red "juice" in the flakes that i pour in the crab, along with some flakes. I add a few dried pepper flakes, and a dash of hot chili and garlic sauce and a dash soy, and then toasted sesame oil. Tastes SO much better than my previous attempt at spicing, same heat but more of an asian tinge which is what I wanted.

Is Sriracha just hot pepper spiced oil? Thats what I thought it was so I just subbed in my hot red pepper juice.

Tags
None