"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Old 12-08-2004, 11:27 PM   #1
Fajita's...need some help!

Okay southerners.... lay it on me where I can get this "better"!

I'm buying tortilla "wraps", because I doubt I can make them any better...

I'm buying dark purple avocado's, checking that they are just "slightly" "mushy" from the outside...

For "guacamole", which is probably NOT a Cdn specialty, I skin the avocadi, discard the pit, and mush it up...add a quarter cup mayo, a bit of lemon juice, a dash of tobasco, 1-2 skinned sliced, chopped green onion, a tablespoon or so of fine chopped green pepper, perhaps a "blast of chilli powder" and/or Tex-Mex seasoning...cover and "sit" for a couple hours in the fridge...

Chicken breast, boned, skinned, sliced, etc, marinated in EVOO, ith chili, Tex-Mex, minced/choppd garlic, onion powder, and "stir-fried"...

Likewise strings of sliced "beef hip", similar prep to the chicken, maybe a bit of basalmic vinegar...

Fresh shrimp, shelled, fast fried in the remains of the oil and "clutter" of the meats before...

Vidalia onion and green pepper strips, again fast fried until "blanched" but no more...

Acouterments of sour cream, shredded pepper jack...

Can you guys all give any suggestions on how I can do any of this better? Have the "kids" coming home, and would like for this to be "near perfect"!

Thanks in advance...

Lifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 05:22 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Looks pretty good to me as is, Lifter. I think I would use lime juice in the guacamile instead of lemon juice. finely chopped cilantro would also be nice.

Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 05:25 AM   #3
Executive Chef
Re: Fajita's...need some help!

[quote="Lifter"]Okay southerners.... lay it on me where I can get this "better"!

Well - First of all, Fajitas are southwestern, not southern . Having said that, here goes!

I don't use mayo in the guac; I'd maybe add some cilantro if you can get it, and try subbing out lime instead of the lemon juice for a more 'authentic' taste. Likewise, instead of green pepper, just use some minced red onion. And if you can get fresh jalapeno, use that in place of the tabasco. And I'm sure you already know this, but to store guac w/o it turning black, place a piece of saran wrap right on top of the guac, all the way out to the edge of the bowl, to 'seal' it and prevent any oxygen getting to the guac, which is what makes the color turn.

I wouldn't marinate any of the meats/seafood - Throw them on the hot skillet with a little bit of oil, and then add your seasonings; most Mexican/Tex-Mex spices are 'toasted' dry, anyway, for a more authentic flavor. And maybe add a little cumin in the mix, also - but not balsamic. Add a splash of Tequila if you have some! For the shrimp, why not try just some chili, lime juice and cilantro - pretty yum on seafood!

Add some red pepper strips to the onion mix if you like - adds some color. And maybe just a simple salsa - chopped tomato/onion, some cilantro and chili, s/p.
marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 10:10 AM   #4
Head Chef
Here are some ideas you can play around with.

Add: cilantro, garlic, red onion (this will give more texture than the green onions), salt and pepper, jalapenos

I would remove the green pepper and mayo from this area

Sour Cream Mixture:
8oz. sour cream, 1/4 cup mayo, 1 package taco seasoning mix

I would marinate in evoo with herbs. Definitly cilantro and cumin. Then cook with vegetables

longhorn cheese
black olives
pico de gallo
abjcooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:28 AM   #5
Executive Chef
The only thing I would add would be coarsely chopped tomatos to the guacamole but that's just a matter of taste. Everything else looks wonderful! :D If you would like to add a side dish, spanish rice might fit the bill.
DampCharcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:18 PM   #6
Master Chef
No mayo in guac or tex-mex or chile powder. Just avacado, lime juice, salt, onion, cilantro and jalepeno (and a drop of my own hab vinegar).

Never heard of mayo in guac. If you want it "creamy" sour cream would be the way to go.

Personally, I do marinate my beef or chicken before i cook it for fajitas.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:26 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
Lifter, I'm recanting from my first post early this a.m. (not enough coffee in me at that hour for total comprehension)

I agree with the others - no mayo in the guac and forget the green pepper too. For chunkier texture, a few less-mashed-up guacamole pieces and/or diced tomato.

Personally, I would also marinate the meat before cooking and cook the peppers and onions until soft.

Let us know how you actually prepared them when the time comes.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 04:53 PM   #8
I think I am with mudbug and the rest. Guacamole is better just simple. As for the meat and onion portion of the program, I don't think marinating is necessary, but it sure never hurts! I DO marinate my beef for fajitas, then slice very thin and barely sear it. My chicken is just as is, no marinating. Not having access to really good chile peppers, we use dried chilis while cooking.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 12:07 AM   #9
Sous Chef
I am a big fan of just a small dollop of sour cream in guacamole, mayonnaise just seems out of place.

But whatever puts your knickers in a twist :).
Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 04:15 AM   #10
Haggis, we Scots never wear "knickers"...

The guacamole thing is a bit weird and wonderful...will "give it a go" as several suggest, and eliminate the mayo (actually Kraft Miracle Whip) as adding sour cream is redundant, as we plug that in regardless!

My "test" for guacamole is to eat it as a "dip" for "tostido's"...

Adding raw, crushed tomato gets interesting, though!...HMMMM!

There's "no hope" of finding "longhorn" cheese here, but the cilantro seasoning sounds like a good idea, and readily accessible!

Lime/lemon, at the end of the day, its a pretty fine judgement, isn't it?

Likewise, "marinating" the steak chips and or the chicken bits, and adding the spicing at this point, versus during or after the cooking...where's the "right or wrong" in this? Although I will cheerfully give a try in a "new direction" on the unsuspecting recipents, probably this weekend!

Except for "Alix", you are all a long ways "south" of "me"!

But thanks to each of you for your ideas, suggestions and experience!

Best Regards!

Lifter is offline   Reply With Quote