Fake-Out Perogies - Rec Idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, DavidC.-----I agree with you on wanting to learn how to cook the local cuisine of wherever you happen to land. If you have time, share also the title of your Ukrainian cookbook--maybe I can order a copy----there are several soup recipes that I have not been able to find online and maybe your book has them as well as pirogi recipes. Thanks for the site----it's amazing to see the similarities between Kazakhstan and the Ukraine. We had a musician come and play the dombra (stringed instrument) at our international last school last year. Our Kazakh and Russian students bring pirogies by the hundreds for lunch in the wintertime.

Ukrainian Cookbooks

Thanks, DavidC.-----I agree with you on wanting to learn how to cook the local cuisine of wherever you happen to land. If you have time, share also the title of your Ukrainian cookbook--maybe I can order a copy----there are several soup recipes that I have not been able to find online and maybe your book has them as well as pirogi recipes. Thanks for the site----it's amazing to see the similarities between Kazakhstan and the Ukraine. We had a musician come and play the dombra (stringed instrument) at our international last school last year. Our Kazakh and Russian students bring pirogies by the hundreds for lunch in the wintertime.

Here ya are! The Best of Ukrainian Cuisine expanded edition, paperback by Bohdan Zahny and Festive Ukrainian Cooking hardcover by Marta Pisetska Farley. I found both on Amazon.

Actually, I don't travel except in my kitchen where I fly off to anywhere in the world!:) Cheers

I should have said that The Best of Ukrainian Cusine has 29 soup recipes, counting borsch variations. Festive Ukrainian Cooking gives those little background paragraphs that I really appreciate.

Last edited:
Ukrainian soups as well as pyrohies are the best food around.

Have to agree with you 100% here. Just made some last friday. And yes, wonton skins work really well, especialy the comercial ones, because they are thicker than the store bought ones.

Indeed word "pirogy" comes from Polish. In main land Ukraine (if you can call it that) they are called Vareniki, but we had the whole discussion about that already ones.

Indeed word "pirogy" comes from Polish. In main land Ukraine (if you can call it that) they are called Vareniki, but we had the whole discussion about that already ones.

Yep, we did. :) As I recall? Eastern European food. My Hungarian grandma made something similar, but w a different name - Kreplach.

Kreplach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the thumbs up on won ton skins, charlie. They do make the process easier & pretty authentic tasting, IMO.

I wonder---do you think it would be possible to roll out won ton skins just a bit more since the main complaint for some is they are a bit too thick? Since we can't get w.t. skins here I'm not able to test that idea out. I guess I would sprinkle a little flour on the work surface and a bit on the rolling pin and see what happens.

BTW David, thanks for the titles. Since I'll be back in TX in November I'll definitely look them up.

Hi, Charlie---what did you make---Borchst? Whenever my DH plants both feet here for more than a week I'm going to make a big pot of yours. Also do you have a recipe for "Solyankha" soup? (excuse the spelling)

What good looking soups!

Huh, do I have solyanka recipe? I make the best solyanka in the world! Period. Do you understand Russian, I'd send you recipe now. Otherwise I’d have to translate into English.
In the mean time you could check this site out: http://www.russia-in-us.com/Cuisine/Dadiani/soups.htm#Miasnaia%20Solianka%20(Meat%20Soup%20With%20Tomatoes,%20Onions%20and%20Cucumbers))
Russian Cuisine.

it desperatly needs bunch of cold cuts, but sounds ok otherwise.

:)Oh boy, I have learned when CharlieD speaks about East European food I listen, period dot.

Neah, this is not merely a soup, it is The Soup! In fact it is the whole diner in one ball or is it bowl, darn, or is it bawl ...

I'm going to post solyanka recipe in Soup section

Oh well, I'll added here too:

Here is a recipe for the meal in a bowl. A simplified version of more complex Russian recipe for Solianka.

Ingredients:

Crosscut shank with bone in - 3.5 - 4 lb

Large carrots, grated – 2

Parsnip, small to average, grated - 1

Large onion finely chopped – 1

Pickle, for G-ds sake, people, use the dill not the vinegar pickle, I don’t know how people eat them anyway, large – 2

Olives, I mixed green and black chopped ones together – 1 cup
(My family doesn’t like olives, if you do - do not chop them at all)

Tomato sauce – 2 cans

Hot jalapeno (or other hot) pepper, chopped – 1

Sweet red bell pepper, chopped – 1

Garlic, freshly chopped – 2 cloves

Parsley, dill – about a pinch or more

Lemon, sliced, for serving - 1

Rise – 2 cups

Cold cuts, cut into small cubes or chopped anyway you like about – 2
Cups

Salt, pepper.

In the large pot cook beef or “the other white meat” (if you like) in about 6 quarts of water, cook uncut. Basically, you need good meat base bullion. I use beef and I like to cook it for a long time to make sure the beef is very tender. I like to cook with some salt and freshly ground pepper. After water boils, I clean the foam of the top and at that time add onion, carrots and parsnip. And let it simmer till ready. Take the meat out and let it cool. At that time add pickles, olives, tomato sauce or paste, you’ll just need less of it. Hot and sweet pepper and garlic. Let it cook for about 15-20 minutes add rice. Now, about the cold cuts. I keep the whole bunch of them already cut in the freezer. It could be anything, salami and bologna, ham and smoked turkey, leftover of some cooked chicken you had the other day, hotdogs and bratwurst, if you like kidneys and tongue it is even better. Just through all of them into the pot let it cook till they are hot (they really do not have to be cooked, as they are already cooked). When meat gets cold enough to handle it, cut it into small cubes and add back to soup, together with cold cuts. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper. Soup has to be spicy and with a hint of pickle. I prefer to use hot red pepper to make it spicy rather than black pepper.
For serving, you’ll need sour cream or mayo-lemon mixture. I like to mix a little bit of mayo with some lemon juice, add about a half of a teaspoon for a bowl of soup. Slice the lemon and hang a half of a slice on the side of the bowl. For those who will want the soup more tart they will squeeze the juice right into the bowl. Sprinkle some dill and parsley (for the smell) and serve.

Sposiba, Charlie!!! I've been looking for some good soup recipes--especially the solyanka--we're now wearing jackets and coats here so hot soups sound wonderful. Thanks for the website as I have not seen this one.

CharlieD you can call it what ever you like

Neah, this is not merely a soup, it is The Soup! In fact it is the whole diner in one ball or is it bowl, darn, or is it bawl ...

CharlieD, you know that spelling in English makes no sense. How does bowl sound like boel? I have no idea. How about miska? Would that fly in Russian as well as Ukrainian, if I had the correct alphabet? So about that soup to end all soups, looks like I will have to try it. :cool: (spy with dark glasses)

Last edited:
Sposiba, Charlie!!! I've been looking for some good soup recipes--especially the solyanka--we're now wearing jackets and coats here so hot soups sound wonderful. Thanks for the website as I have not seen this one.

i have to mention that carrots or parsnip,parsly root is not in the original recipe, but I just like my soups on a heavier/thicker side. So you do not have to use it. Also that recipe I posted in the borscht thread for that additive I make can be used here too instead of hot peppers.

Charlie---do you add a dollop of cmetana (or sour cream) to your solyanka soup right before you eat it? They do here as well as to the borscht and it's delicious. BTW thanks for your personal solyanka recipe---believe it or not one of my favorite solyanka soups that is served at a local restaurant sells for $11 a bowl. That's why I want to know how to cook it myself. For the life of me I can't think what might be in it to cost that much.

Well, my goodness--look at me hogging all the post quick replies------sorry---I really think that my computer hates me. We really have issues---as far as I know I only tapped once but who knows----SORRY about that---maybe the site moderator(s) will zap them off and I won't look like the computer illiterate that I am. :)

Charlie love your soup recipe. Thank you for sharing with us. Mods, do you think the post thread can be split, so no one misses charlie's contribution? TIA

Oh, yes, the Sour Cream part, absolutely must in Russian and Ukrainian cooking. I deo not use it because it is not kosher. Can't mix dairy and Meat products. I compencate with a littlele bit of mayo and lemon juice mix. Not the same, but whatcha gona do?

Back
Top Bottom