Falafel (Chickpeas vs Broad beans) difference in consistency and flavor ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Im reading an article about 'Not to miss' foods in Egypt. I came across the following quote:

"A notable example is falafel. Now eaten throughout the Western world as well, it's often made with chickpeas. In Egypt it's common to find falafel made purely from dried broad beans. It has more moisture and a richer green color inside thanks to the addition of fresh parsley, spring onion and leek."

As far as I know, the only falafel Ive eaten has been exclusively chickpea based. They have always been significantly dry, but when eaten with all the fixings, it kinda makes up for it.

So my question is, has anyone had an Egyptian, Broad Bean based falafel ( homemade or restaurant ) and is it more moist then what I would consider the more traditional (at least in my case) falafel ? Does the taste differ due to the different beans used, or do the herbs and spices carry most the flavor ?

I've never used broad beans, but if your falafel is dry try upping the onion content.

I use a quarter onion to half a cup of dried chickpeas (soaked 24 hours) and they're not dry at all.

Back
Top Bottom