Favorite 2 ways to make pizza

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Pizza Pastie

spread pizza dough into an 8 inch round. Put you favorite sauce and toppins on it, leaving an inch space of bake crust on the outside. Fold the dough in half and pinch the edges together. Brush with egg wash and let rise in warm place for 20 minutes. Bake in 425 F oven until golden brown. Remove and serve hot.

Other favorite pizza

Roll pizza dough into a ten inch round. Libberally oil a 10 inch cast iron pan with olive oil. Place the crust into the pan. Put on your favorite sauce and toppins. Get the Webber Kettle going with a solid bed of coals. Let the pizza rise while thee charcoal is getting hot. Place the pizza onto the grill and cover, leavingthe vents wide open. Cook for ten minutes. Remove and serve.

Of course if you have a large cast iron pan, you can make a larger pizza.

For me, the best toppings are a rich tomato sauce, with basil and oregano, garlic, and onion, and some red pepper thrown in for grins, topped with pepperoni, italian sausage, sliced onion, ripe bell pepper, black olives, mushrooms, and plenty of either mozzarella, or provolone cheese.

The advantage of the pizza pastie is that the fillings are very moist, and all the flavor is still there. This is great with whatever toppings you want. It's very good with margarita pizza toppings.

The advantage of the grilled pizza is that like with a brick pizza oven, you get that yummy smoke flavor that just takes the flavors over the top.

Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
i love making pizza on the grill but just slide mine onto a hot pizza stone - you are right - awesome!

Regarding the folded pie... that's a calzone, right? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calzone

Do you have any trouble with it getting soggy inside?

i love making pizza on the grill but just slide mine onto a hot pizza stone - you are right - awesome!

Same here except I put mine on a pizza screen before putting it on the stone. The only issue I have with the grill is the top sometimes not getting brown enough. I need to try a technique of elevating the stone so that the top of the pizza is closer to the top of the grill. This will cause the hot air to brown the top of the pizza better.

until the last ten years or so, no one around here ever heard of a calzone. A cousin of mine worked at a local pizza place that made very good pizzas. One day, he took one of the pizzas and f0lded it in half, then baked it. We are famous around here for our pasties, and so the name pizza pastie was coined. The product was a huge success and it could be said to have made the lilttle pizza place famous. That place was bought 0ut, but the newest owners kept the pizza pasties. A local grocery store also copied them, and sold them hot from their deli. A good number of my ex-coworkers used to go there for their pizza pastie fix. Done right, they are a definite cut about normal pizza, so juicy and flavorful. And no, when I make them at home, I don't have any issues with the inside becoming soggy.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I’m from NJ so I’m familiar with calzones and strombolis. They are both the same thing except calzones use ricotta cheese and strombolis don’t.

I have a "Kettlepizza" kit for the Weber, which allows it to become a wood burning oven. We also love grilled pizza on the BGE. The difference between both of these techniques and pizza done in the oven is night and day.

I might have to look into getting a kettle myself. I'm a longtime gasser who recently got into the Weber Smokey Mountain. Kettlepizza makes a kit for gas grills. It's a bit expensive for what you get which is a stone and a sheet of metal. Before I order one, I need to try elevating my stone in my grill to be closer to the hood. This would help me with my issue of the pizza top not getting brown enough.

I thought the difference was that calzones are folded while strombolis are rolled, like a Swiss roll.

This could be a regional thing. Here's a restaurant that specialized in strombolis located in New Brunswick, NJ, home of Rutgers U where I went to school.
https://stuffyerface.com/whats-a-stromboli/

I've had a thing called Pepperoni Roll that's like a Swiss Roll. I would roll out the dough into a shape of a rectangle. Then put an egg wash on it, italian seasoning, and then cover with provolone/pepperoni or some other salami. This is rolled up and baked.

012.jpg

If I do an image search for stromboli, you're correct that most of the image hits are like the swiss roll variation. Here's one that's not:

Stomboli.jpg

Back
Top Bottom