Filipino Chicken Adobo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the tips ppo. I've been using rice wine vinegar, can you tell me how the cane vinegar differs?
I don't normally use coconut milk for anything, but on a lark I picked up a can at Trader Joes and was very glad I had it on hand for this.

I would say it is a little bit mellower. My wife uses it instead of rice wine vinegar now.

If you ask 10 Pilipinos for an adobo recipe, you will get at least 9 versions. Some will sauté the chicken and pork first, some will sauté the chicken and pork last, and others will just braise the eaw chicken and pork in the adobo liquid as it cooks down. This is how my ex-wife did it:

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]CHICKEN& PORK ADOBO[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ingredients:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]3 cups water [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 cups distilled white vinegar [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]4 Tbs soy sauce [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 tsp whole peppercorns [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 tsp salt (or to taste)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 small onion, finely chopped[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]4 cloves garlic, minced [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 pound chicken pieces, legs and thighs preferred[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 pound pork, cut into large pieces [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 tablespoons peanut oil[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Instructions:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Brown chicken and pork pieces in oil in a deep sauté pan, then remove to paper towels. Cook onions in sauté pan until soft and translucent,then add garlic, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper and continue to cook until onions are lightly browned. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Add water, vinegar, and soy sauce and heat to boiling. Add chicken and pork, reduce heat and simmer until liquid is reduced to a thick sauce, turning chicken and pork occasionally. Place chicken and pork on serving platter and pour sauce over steamed white rice.[/FONT]

Last edited:
Just my opinion GG, but if I were using both dark meat chicken, and pork, I'd use pork loin.

If I did it without the chicken, I'd use pork shoulder.

I've no idea what SLOB will say though.;)

Yesterday I watched episode 2 of this years MC Australia. As usual it was an excellent production. One contestant competing for an apron made adobo. It looks delicious. I made a note to make it this week. 'Coincidence? LOL

Back
Top Bottom