"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-04-2006, 10:52 AM   #1
Master Chef

Floyd's India

The last couple of mornings, I've been watching Floyd's India on the travel channel. This British guy travels to all the different regions of India, cooking in the cuisine of each area.
I really didn't know anything about Indian cooking, other than "curry", so this is quite fascinating. The food seems really SPICY! And so many things are turned into pastes...ginger paste, chili paste, garlic paste. They also use a lot of coconut milk and yogurt.
I'm not sure if I find the food appealing or not. It's certainly very different from anything I've seen before. There are no Indian restaurants in this area, so I can't try the food out that way, but I want to give it a go, so I guess the only way is to cook something myself.
My question, for those of you experienced with Indian cuisine...what dishes would you recommend for a Midwestern girl to start with?

Old 08-04-2006, 10:58 AM   #2
Sous Chef

I too don't know much about Indian food - have gotten a couple of books to try some dishes...but where does the time go????

From the reading I've done, the food is spicy but with the addition of coconut milk and yogurt - it is mellowed out quite a bit.

I'm hoping someone(s) will post some tried and true dishes for us both to try!! Good luck to us.

Old 08-04-2006, 11:20 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Every Indian Restaurant I've eaten at has been extremely mild. It would be like comparing good TexMex to Taco Bell.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:47 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Every Indian dish is not hot and spicy. There are many that are reasonably seasoned. Also, You can control the amount of heat in a dish without ruining its authenticity.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:59 PM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
Floyd, love him to bits, is a bit of a formulaic cook. I'd encourage you to look at books by Madhur Jaffrey, who is a brilliant Indian cook. Not all Indian food relies on spicy pastes. Floyd adores spicy food, so that's what he's going to prepare.

He has done several good series, I loved the Australian one, he nearly set his Tasmanian hotel room on fire cooking abalone in his suite!
Old 08-04-2006, 01:54 PM   #6
Executive Chef

It's his 'slurps' that cause the acccidents, Kyles
Old 08-04-2006, 02:57 PM   #7
Executive Chef

he is a knowledgable culinarian. I love Indian cuisine. can be hot or mild. You may want to start with something llike tandori chicken, basmati rice with raita (a yogurt and cucumber salad) chick peas with spinach and garlic. our regular curry powder is a moderate dry curry blend. our garum marsala is a sweeter curry blend. both can be made hot by adding cayenne pepper.

what floyd calls coriander is our chopped cilantro. Indian spicing is very headdy and fragrant/perfumy. this is cut with the rice, the nan breads (fried breads) and the sauces like raita. Chutneys are a British addition to Indian cuisine, and also very wonderful.

In cooking Indian foods, go easy on the meat and really up the vegetables. Not only is it traditional, but with all these great flavors, you won't miss the meat.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:48 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Robo
It's not just Floyd that uses the term 'coriander' for the leaves of the coriander plant that appears to be called Cilantro in the US and other countries.... it's all us Britons!!!

I use the cookery books of various Indian cooks, but my favourites are still Madhur Jaffrey. Concise, easy to follow and great recipes!
Old 08-04-2006, 05:19 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Consult our very own Yakuta
Old 08-04-2006, 05:44 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
It's his 'slurps' that cause the acccidents, Kyles
I got a kick out of that, Ish. That's the way I like to cook...with a cold beer in hand.

Robo, Floyd made Tandori Chicken on one of the shows I watched today. It looked very good. He also made some good looking vegetable dishes.

Tags
None