"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-14-2005, 02:01 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Question French dressing?

Hi all,

I’ve scoured high and low but cannot find (store bought) French salad dressing here (Ireland)…well to be fare I can’t find anything that resembles the red/orange Kraft style of French dressing. What is often called “French dressing” here is often just a light herb vinaigrette (which is nice granted, but I’m after the orange creamy style).

Does anyone have any homemade recipes for orange French salad dressings (or even Russian, which again I’d love to make – the red one preferably). Thanks everyone!

p.s.

IMHO the best French dressing I’ve ever had in my life came from the “Old Spaghetti Factory” chain of restaurants – what about you guys?

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 06:16 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Hve this one from Sam Choy, of all people!

HAWAIIAN FRENCH DRESSING

makes 2 ˝ cups

1 can tomato soup
2T.Maui onion chopped
2tsp.mustard
3/4 cup brown sugar
˝ cup canola oil
salt/pepper
1clove garlic
2/3 cup red wine vinegar
2T. Worchestershire
˝ tsp. dry mustard

Place all in blender and blend til smooth. Keeps about 2 weeks.

Old 08-14-2005, 06:23 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I had to break out my old Garde Manger textbook, but here it is. We had to make this by hand, but you can use a food processor or blender.

French Dressing

Yield: 1 qt.

Ingredients:

1 egg, beaten
3/4 c. Lemon Juice
1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 tsp. Garlic, finely mashed and minced
1 tsp. Salt
2 tsp. Dry Mustard
2 tsp. Paprika
1 qt. Salad Oil

Method:

Combine beaten egg, lemon juice, worcestershire sauce, and garlic. Whisk until incorporated. Add salt, dry mustard, and papprika. Whisk to incorporate, then let rest for 15 minutes. Slowly whisk in the oil.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:27 AM   #4
Executive Chef

We have lots and lots of American brand 'dressings' in the UK - maybe you need to go to your nearest big town (I think you said you lived in deepest, rural Ireland?) - because I'm sure that any of the major supermarket chains in Ireland would also carry the same lines.

Kraft, Paul Newman and others are readily available.

A French dressing traditionally doesn't have anything in it to colour it 'orange' - the only colouring thing would be either the mustard or the redwine vinegar (if you choose to use it instead of lemon).
Old 08-14-2005, 07:25 AM   #5
Head Chef

Hi ICadvisor,

Googled in 'Kraft French dressing copycat' and found all sorts of interesting recipes.

Agree with Ishbel, as usual. Have been to the UK many times over many years. When we first were lucky enough to be there, were thrilled that the supermarkets carried mostly British goods.

Now they carry so many US goods we find it hard to find authentic UK stuff, sigh.

Seems you should be able to find the red dressing in a large Sainsbury's, Tesco, Waitrose, etc.

Will be on your side of the pond in a couple of weeks and will check out the salad dressing section.

If you do decide to make your own I suspect the secret ingredient is ketchup.

And if we find it in the UK will be in touch.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:22 PM   #6
Head Chef

My Mom would make this using mayo, catsup (ketchup), a touch of dry mustard, sugar, salt and pepper. She would taste as she mixed this and it would turn out tasting much better than the store bought stuff.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:41 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Hi all,

you guys are always sooooooo helpful (Why can't everyone everywhere be so helpful!)

Quote:
I had to break out my old Garde Manger textbook, but here it is.
Thanks, I appreciate it big time this recipe looks fab!

Quote:
We have lots and lots of American brand 'dressings' in the UK - maybe you need to go to your nearest big town (I think you said you lived in deepest, rural Ireland?) - because I'm sure that any of the major supermarket chains in Ireland would also carry the same lines.

Kraft, Paul Newman and others are readily available.
Hi Ishbel, I used to live in Dublin, and I was never able to find it (Kraft French) there either (believe me I spent days at a time combing every chain of grocery store for North American products, and honestly came up rather empty handed). England (as opposed to where I am, the Republic of Ireland) is privy to a lot (underline that one a few times) more brands/products than Ireland is, so I'm sure you have a number of the "usual" Canadian/US foods that I would give my favourite shoes for at this point.

There is Paul Newman here (a few kinds like caesar, ranch and oil & vinegar - and some of the pasta sauces). Likewise there are a few Kraft types of dressing but nothing as "exotic" as ("American") French

Thanks all, needless to say I'll be eating salad like a bunny this week!

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 07:59 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Terrible misnomer...

I wonder who in the world first called that sweetish condiment "French dressing"?

Nothing like it exists in France!

Best regards,
Alex R.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:18 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I think it was an American - because when I was a girl growing up in Scotland, we called the dressing vinaigrette!
Old 08-15-2005, 08:28 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Exactly, Ishbel!

I've lived in France for 27 years, and never came across anything remotely like it!

Alex

Tags
None