"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-22-2010, 12:02 PM   #11
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,404
All ethnic foods are made to fit an American customer palate, so none of it is really authentic. I’ve been to many Russian restaurants and none of them really are that Russian, I’m sure the same is true for Chinese. But it doesn’t matter, because this is what people like and want.
__________________

__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:19 PM   #12
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Culpeper, VA
Posts: 5,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
All ethnic foods are made to fit an American customer palate, so none of it is really authentic.
"All ethnic foods"? And "none of it is really authentic"? Really? Perhaps in your part of the country, but you simply cannot realistically say "all", as in everywhere.

I've enjoyed quite a bit of authentic Chinese, Japanese, Thai, German, & Mexican cuisine (& yes, I know the difference) both in NY & here in VA. At the same time, I've also enjoyed dishes that have been somewhat "Americanized". It has nothing to do with the "American palate" (you make that sound so derogatory somehow), it's simply a matter of what folks enjoy.

Search diligently enough & you can find "authentic" ethnic cuisines being served in places you perhaps normally wouldn't guess.
__________________

__________________
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:50 PM   #13
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
"All ethnic foods"? And "none of it is really authentic"? Really? Perhaps in your part of the country, but you simply cannot realistically say "all", as in everywhere.

I've enjoyed quite a bit of authentic Chinese, Japanese, Thai, German, & Mexican cuisine (& yes, I know the difference) both in NY & here in VA. At the same time, I've also enjoyed dishes that have been somewhat "Americanized". It has nothing to do with the "American palate" (you make that sound so derogatory somehow), it's simply a matter of what folks enjoy.

Search diligently enough & you can find "authentic" ethnic cuisines being served in places you perhaps normally wouldn't guess.
I have had authentic Japanese right here in NC, a Japanese friend (who travels back to Japan often) brought us there. I have had authentic Korean here as well.

Often you can go to an ethnic restaurant, family run and they will offer food familiar to the American palate, but also more authentic things. Often times they will prepare items off menu for you, usually very excited to do so. Just develop a good relationship with the family that owns a restaurant.
__________________
bakechef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #14
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
(you make that sound so derogatory somehow), ....

Somehow I would be surprise if you ever agree with what I said. Where did you see "deragatory". It is simply matter of fact. Do you see a lot of Americans eating Borscht? I doubt.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #15
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Culpeper, VA
Posts: 5,806
Sigh. I never said that you said or were deragatory, I said that the way you made mention of the "American palate" SOUNDED deragatory. There's a large difference there which you're apparently missing.

And what does whether or not a lot of Americans eat Borscht have to do with whether or not authentic ethnic cuisine is available in restaurants? You're not making any sense. There are a couple of Russian restaurants in the Northern VA/DC area, & I'm sure that if Borscht is served, "Americans" are eating it. Geesh.
__________________
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:11 PM   #16
Head Chef
 
GrillingFool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 2,223
So if we go to China and someone there fixes Tso chicken in their kitchen, would that make it authentic?'
You think Chinese people sit around and discuss how the burgers they get there aren't "authentic" American burgers?

Even better, do they discuss how authentically American their Chop Suey is? LOLOL

Personally, I could care less if an ethnic food is "authentic", as long as I enjoy it, and further personally think that people who diss food as "not authentic" are just being snobby. NOt directed at anyone in particular HERE, just people in general. No snobs here, everyone is nice, and happy and friendly. It's a GOOD LIFE. :)
__________________

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:22 PM   #17
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
So if we go to China and someone there fixes Tso chicken in their kitchen, would that make it authentic?'
You think Chinese people sit around and discuss how the burgers they get there aren't "authentic" American burgers?

Even better, do they discuss how authentically American their Chop Suey is? LOLOL

Personally, I could care less if an ethnic food is "authentic", as long as I enjoy it, and further personally think that people who diss food as "not authentic" are just being snobby. NOt directed at anyone in particular HERE, just people in general. No snobs here, everyone is nice, and happy and friendly. It's a GOOD LIFE. :)
I kind of feel the same way that you do. What makes a food "authentic"? If a person in Italy dumps sauce from a jar (and I am sure millions there do), does it make the meal less "authentic" and more Americanized?

There are so many ways to make just about every food, every region puts their own twist on dishes. Recipes for New England clam chowder, often don't resemble the clam chowder served in Maine, but may be more like what is served in Boston, which one is authentic?

I think too many get hung up on authenticity.
__________________
bakechef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:26 PM   #18
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Well there is such a thing as authentic regional food. If I went to an authentic NY deli and they do not know what a kinish is or serve my Ruben on white bread then I would be pretty upset. That does not mean that a Ruben on white bread could not be delicious though. It is OK to classify something as authentic, but IMO it is not OK to look down your nose at something just because it is not.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:31 PM   #19
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,089
GB you said that better than I did, in far fewer words, LOL!
__________________
bakechef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
That is because I am on the pay per word model at DC. Each word costs me $.02
__________________

__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.