German cuisine, ideas for sides?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicklord1

Senior Cook
Hi i am making veal holstein , with it i was thinking of some red cabbage , sauerkraut , is there any other german condiments to consider.

Cheers

I'm not sure that I'd serve both red cabbage AND sauerkraut. Better to choose one or the other. With your veal dish I'd probably go with the red cabbage. If you'd like a green vegetable to go with your dish, green beans tossed with some sauteed onion & crisp bacon bits would also go nicely.

Thin sliced cucumbers, with a vinagrette that is on the tart side, and lots of dill or other fresh herbs.

Fried potatoes or potato pancakes if you're looking for a starch and don't want to do the spaetzil, which I agree would be #1. I don't know about veal holstein, is it a saucey dish? If so definitely the spaetzil. If it is a dryer dish, I'd go with the fried potato side, which doesn't need a sauce.

Pretty comical when people suggest accompaniments to a dish with which they are obviously unfamiliar. Pomfrits, warm potato salad, or a green bean salad are pretty much the standard accompaniment.

No one said fried potatos did they? Oh I see someone did. They would go well anyway.

What else would accompany an elaborate and specifically garnished schnitzle that we missed oh master of the German cuisine?

Last edited:
I wasn't aware that Germany had a "cuisine" beyond knockwurst and sauerkraut - LOL!!! :ROFLMAO:

I agree that either fries or fried potatoes are the standard sides for these breaded and fried escalope dishes. Since it's a rich main dish, I'd stay away from anything really spicy. In all my time living in Germany (Bavaria) I've never actually seen this exact dish served in restaurants, so I'm not 100% sure what you would serve with it other than potatoes. You could always have a bavarian starter like Obatzda (cheese spread) and warm pretzels. Or just have the warm pretzels as your bread. In beer gardens and restaurants in Germany, they put a basket of pretzels on your table for you to nosh on or eat with your meal. (You then get charged for however many you eat and the basket is topped up and moved on to another table... something that would never fly in the US!!) They're easy to make from scratch, but the twisting takes some practice.

hot german potato salad

That was my thought also, along with homemade buttered noodles, the sweet sour red cabbage, and sausages cooked in kraut.

For dessert, you need to make a nice apple strudel (use the recipe on the Pillsbury's frozen puff pastry box.)

My grandfather was german, we had a lot of sausages, he'd cut them with his jack knife and put them on my plate and tell me 'eata, eata', then he'd pinch my knees. ha ha
Grandma would make fried potatoes at lunch (their dinner) a lot. We loved saurkraut too, and creamed vegetables at the end of the week, or soup made of all the leftover veggies.
There is a nice little family german restaurant down the road 3 miles from where I work. They have lots of standard german dishes but very authentic, and a liver dumpling soup for a side each day, and the sweet sour red cabbage slaw, yum. I usually have the reuben, open faced with the red sweet sour slaw.
I make a good spaetzle--at least to me and those that eat with me, the little touch of nutmeg makes all the difference and you have to cook them in a rich broth (chicken soup).

I'm sure the Schnitzel is already eaten, but a real Holsteiner Schnitzel is with a fried egg on it, did you know that?
So fried potatoes would be best, together with some fried onions and gherkins would be best

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom