"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Old 06-14-2014, 06:02 AM   #51
Executive Chef
Almost 10 years. That has to be a record. Welcome to DC.

Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:10 AM   #52
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by comissaryqueen View Post
Our Renaissance Fest. is opening a new Beer Garden this season and I plan on serving light German favorites like brauts&kraut ,pretzels, mustard pickles etc.And of course beer. Does anyone have any other favorites they would recommend? Grilled items will work best and side dishes. Thanks.
I know this was a long time ago but here's my two penn'orth.

Not exactly German but Wiener schnitzel and my childhood/teenage and beyond Austrian friend's mother's potato salad with a vinaigrette-type dressing rather than a mayo one. It was divine. I never asked her for the recipe and try as I might I can't replicate it. And the Backhendel we used to have at Heurigen in Grinzing - Mmmm!

Desserts? I have a recipe for Sachertorte that is as close as you can get to the version served in Demel on the Kohlmarkt in Vienna. Oddly enough it's in a Marks & Spencer cookery book! It doesn't claim to be the original recipe but I think it's as good as it gets. And qwetschenkuchen(spelling?) - yum!

Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:32 AM   #53
Executive Chef
Oops, sorry - Zwetschgenkuchen!
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:58 PM   #54
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by SeleneSue View Post
Please, please, don't go the way of other "Renaissance" festivals by serving modern food with "Ye Olde" names. There are plenty of yummy treats which are appropriate to the time and place.

OK, maybe I have an axe to grind. Once upon a time, I was at the Renaissance Pleasure Faire in Agoura, California, a paying customer in a pretty good costume. I was approached by two women in better costumes who had a lot of unsolicited criticism of the shape of my hat and the trim on my skirt. All this in front of the Beef Teriyaki on a Stick and Churros stands. Well, so much for the veracity of the Authenticity Police!

Here is a German cookbook from the year 1533, translated into English. Use goodies from here!

You know what? My hubby and I thoroughly enjoyed that old cookbook you posted! He pulled up an extra chair to the desk and we sat right here reading that and talking about it for nearly an HOUR!

Thank you sooooooo much, SeleneSue!

Dang, I should have joined here when Cat first told me about it! *Kicks self*

Sorry, I'm off-topic.

I went to a bunch of Renaissance Faires in Germany when I was stationed there, and I did love the chickens on the spits! And a fine roasted bratwurst was another favorite....oooooo, yummy, with hot, spicy mustard.
Adopt a kitty and save nine lives.
CrazyCatLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #55
Executive Chef
Whatever you decide, you really gotta deep fry it or it's Un American.

Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffett
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote