German Fair food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

comissaryqueen

Senior Cook
Our Renaissance Fest. is opening a new Beer Garden this season and I plan on serving light German favorites like brauts&kraut ,pretzels, mustard pickles etc.And of course beer. Does anyone have any other favorites they would recommend? Grilled items will work best and side dishes. Thanks.

snittzle on a stick? hee hee :shock: :shock: ok no ........uuuuuuuuu candied cabbage. its good if you want a recipie.let me look at some books here ....k..........f n h

Potatoes with cabbage and a light mustard sauce!!!
1.gif
Also, dumplings with chicken & broth, made with German seasoning.
I sooooooooooo love it!

How about turkey legs / meat with gravy? OR creamy schnitzel? I made something like this 3 weeks ago and it was GREAT!!!!!

Creamy Schnitzel

Ingredients:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
400g/13oz pork chops
20g / ½ oz shortening
pepper, salt
ground red pepper
50g / 1 ½ oz diced smoked ham
50g / 1 ½ oz cooked ham
1 onion
20g / ½ oz butter, unsalted
200g / 7 oz heavy cream
1 tsp instant broth
125g/4oz Rice

Serves 3 - 784 cal per serving
Prep-time: 15 min. - Total-time: 60 min.
. Set the oven temperature to 170° C / 340° F. Heat the shortening in a pan and first fry the schnitzels on high heat on both sides, then turn back the temperature and continue to fry for about 5 minutes. Season with pepper, salt and ground red pepper. Place the schnitzels in a casserole. Heat butter in a small pan and fry the diced smoked ham and cooked ham. Spread this mixture over the schnitzels. Season the cream with the instant broth and pour over the schnitzels. Bake in a moderate oven for about 60 minutes or until the meat is done. Serve with rice and a mixed salad.

I'll try to think of more.

We attend Milwaukee, Wisconsin's German Fest yearly and they serve grilled chicken, potato pancakes with applesauce, fresh and smoked brats, German potato salad as well as many other foods.

We need to get together one day for lunch. I work up your way. I'll bring you a sample jar of our mustard relish. It would be dyamite on those brats.

German Chicken and Dumplings rock. My wife makes these really heavy ones that are a meal in themselves. We fight over them.

Please, please, don't go the way of other "Renaissance" festivals by serving modern food with "Ye Olde" names. There are plenty of yummy treats which are appropriate to the time and place.

OK, maybe I have an axe to grind. Once upon a time, I was at the Renaissance Pleasure Faire in Agoura, California, a paying customer in a pretty good costume. I was approached by two women in better costumes who had a lot of unsolicited criticism of the shape of my hat and the trim on my skirt. All this in front of the Beef Teriyaki on a Stick and Churros stands. Well, so much for the veracity of the Authenticity Police!

Here is a German cookbook from the year 1533, translated into English. Use goodies from here!

http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Sabrina_Welserin.html
:eek:

here is something I like to make when we're having brats & kraut

German Applesauce

4 large apples, peeled, cored and cut into pieces
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons dark rye bread crumbs
½ cup white wine
¼ cup seedless white raisins, chopped
Ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
About 1 tablespoon sugar

In a saucepan, sautee the apple pieces in the butter until they are soft. Remove them and fry the bread crumbs in the butter that remains. Return the apples to the pan, add the wine, raisins and a pinch of cinnamon, and bring the sauce to a boil with the lemon peel and sugar to taste.
(If the sauce is too thick, dilute it with a little white wine.)

Makes about 3 cups

*since you have so many people to serve, maybe you could buy cinnamon applesauce and jazz it up with the other ingredients so you could call it German Applesauce.

Good Luck!

We're in Octoberfest Country

These are the things we eat regularly at our local Beer Garden:

Radishes, plain, but prettily cut on a plate

Roti Chicken (VERY popular here... you won't find a beer garden that doesn't have roti chicken)

Pork ribs with barbecue sauce

Obazda (sp?) which is a cheese dip for Bretzen (pretzels) that is heavy on the gorgonzola cheese

Brezen (pretzels) of course

Leberkasen semmel - rolls with cheese and meat in the middle... this is a particular favorite of Bavarians, here in Munich.

Doner kebap - lots of Turks here, so you see Turkish Doner everywhere. It's a German staple these days.

French fries. EVERYTHING comes with fries here.

Various salads.

I want to mention that sauerkraut here is NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING like the crap they try to pass as sauerkraut in the US. I hated the stuff before we moved here. Sauerkraut here tastes nothing like what is sold in the US. It's delicious here. If you're going to eat it, make it from scratch.

Mustard: Weisswurst is served with the sweet mustard and it's pretty typical to eat this sweet mustard with most things, although a spicy mustard is often served with various foods. I'd offer both. Also, I've never seen ANYONE eat pretzels with mustard here. That seems to be an American affectation. Maybe in northern Germany, but not here in Bavaria. Pretzels often are sold with melted cheese and or meats on them, but never mustard.

Good luck with your faire! Is it an SCA faire?

velochic is right the saurekraut is so much different in germany I ate tons of it there, its not as sour and a little bit sweet.You can kinda fake it by rinsing saurekraut really well.Cook with a little sweet white wine and maybe a tiny bit of sugar.Also they usually eat their fries with mayonaise instead of ketchup.

Commissary queen. Implies we may have a common background. When I was a kid, there was an ox on a spit, pretzels, and lots of beer. Doubt the ox is a possiblity, but with lots of beer no one will notice anything else!

Re: We're in Octoberfest Country

velochic said:
These are the things we eat regularly at our local Beer Garden:

You forgot the Steckerlfisch!

I lived outside of Stuttgart for almost a year back in 2002. German festival food was awesome.

In Stuttart and the surounding areas, some other stuff you could find was Flamkuechen (Kind of like a French thin pizza with a sour cream based sauce) and of course maultouchen - swabian ravioli.

My German grandmother used to make this cake that sort of resembled a rectangular pizza with sliced plum wedges for topping. Sometimes peaches or apricots replaced the plums.

There are a bunch of unique German cookies, but most are for Christmas. Lebkuchen is always popular.

This triple-themed salad is the customary side dish to most dinners in small regional restaurants & inns throughout Germany:

Potato Salad
2 lbs small red potatoes
4 fl. oz. cider vinegar
4 tsp sugar
2 tsp prepared brown mustard
1 tsp celery seeds
1 tsp salt

Cucumber Salad
2 large (about 2 lbs) cucumber
2 tsp salt
2 fl. oz. cider vinegar
4 Tbsp sugar
¼ cup EACH snipped fresh dill & thinly sliced green onion

Beet Salad
2 16-oz. jars sliced beets
2 fl. oz. cider vinegar
2 Tbsp sugar
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp allspice

Boston lettuce leaves

Several hours before serving, prepare salads: Scrub & quarter potatoes; cook in gently boiling water until tender; drain, being careful not to break potatoes.

Meanwhile, in bowl, combine vinegar, sugar, mustard, celery seeds, and salt. Add potatoes; toss well to combine. Cover salad & refrigerate until just before serving time.

Peel & thinly slice cucumbers. In colander placed on rimmed platter, toss slices with salt; set aside 10 minutes.

Drain sliced beets, reserving ½ cup liquid. Cut each beet slice into 4 triangular pieces. In saucepan, heat reserved liquid, vinegar, sugar, salt, and spice to boiling. Add beets & cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until most of liquid has evaporated and beets are glazed – 8-10 minutes. Spoon beets into a bowl; cover and refrigerate until just before serving time.

In bowl, combine vinegar, sugar, and dill. Add well-drained cucumbers & green onion; toss together. Cover salad & refrigerate until just before serving time.

Assembly: Arrange lettuce on side of plates; divide each salad among the plates, place on lettuce.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom