German Kohlrouladen (cabbage parcels)
hi, and here we go again - another request! Glad to do it.
1 Kohlroulade per person ( it is left up to you how many you make)
This is for 4 Kohlrouladen
1 cabbage (only use the bigger leaves, could be that you need another cabbage)
18 oz (500g) minced beef
1 large raw onion (grated) or according to taste (I love onions)
4 tablespoons of breadcrumbs
salt and pepper to taste
if the mixture is too firm then add some water
1. remove the bigger cabbage leaves carefully, and blanch them for 2 -3 mins until slightly soft ( this is so that you can wrap them around the minced beef). Remove the leaves from the water and leave to cool on the kitchen surface (need to be flat when cooling)
2. put minced beef in a bowl, add the egg, the grated onions, the breadcrumbs and salt and pepper to taste. Mix all ingedients together well.
3. Separate the mince into 4 parts or if you want small cabbage parcels them separate into 6 parts.
4. Make each bit of mince into a large sausage shape.
5. Take 2 or 3 leaves (must be overlapping), place the mince on the leaves, fold edges over the mince, each side half way. Then start rolling the mince in the cabbage (now you can see why the leaves have to be blanched)
6. Once completely rolled, fasten with string. Bring a pan of water to boil and place the Rouladen in the boiling water.
7. Turn down heat and leave to simmer (I hope) for 15 mins. It will be up to you to check on the Rouladen if they are done. Just take one out and slightly open one with a
knife deep enough to see if the mince is done.
8. Remove the string before serving
I serve them with a home made tomatoe sauce. Serve with rice. As I said its my own receipe and I do all my cooking by eye.
Enjoy your meal