German Rinderroladen (Beef Olives)
"Rinderroladen" - Beef Olives
This has nothing to do with olives its just the english translation
One Rinderrolade per person is the quite adequate
4 slices of fairly thin lean beef (23cm by 33cm) or (9in by 13in). The beef has to be thin so that you can roll it and make it into a parcel.
2 - 3 Onions
8 slices of bacon
salt and pepper
fat for frying
sting for tying the roladen up with
1. Clean the meat, pat dry, and put flat out on the kitchen top next to each other. Make sure that the 33 inches are from top to bottom and not from side to side. It easier to work with the meat then.
2. Spread a thin layer of mustard over each piece of meat (only one side thats the inside). Salt and pepper each one.
3. Place 2 slices of bacon on each slice (top to bottom) on top of the mustard.
4. Slice gurkins and onions length wise into sticks.
5.Place the onions and gurkins on top of beacon. Please make sure that now they both lie from left to right. (now you will see why).
6. Now you must start rolling the meat together. First fold the edges inwards, not too much just enough to make sure that the filling doesnt fall out. Then start rolling the meat until you a package. Tie the "Rolade" with string, also that the sides dont open. Ready.
7. Fry the Roladen in fat until brown on all sides. If they get a bit too brown and the bottom of the pan is also a bit brown doesnt matter you will get a good gravy out of that.
8. Add water to nearly cover the roladen. Try to scrape the brown from the bottom of the pan a little. Now bring to boil and let simmer for 45 mins adding water to avoid them burning. If you wish you can add some chopped onions whilst the roladen are cooking.
9. Remove the Roladen from pan, cut off the string, place in a dish, thicken the fluid to make a gravy using corn flour, and season with salt and pepper if necessary. If it is not seasoned enough then add one or two beef oxo cubes. Pour over the roladen and serve.
Once again Potatoes and any veg.