"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #21
Head Chef

"Even in refrigerator it should still be farily soft, kind of like margarine."

Mine isn't. Wonder what the difference is.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #22
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
"Even in refrigerator it should still be farily soft, kind of like margarine."

Mine isn't. Wonder what the difference is.
I disagree. Iwould expect ghee to be as hard as butter in the refrigerator.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #23
Head Chef

LOL

Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me (cave76) or the first person who said that ghee should be fairly soft?

My ghee is hard in the fridge--- really almost rock hard.

The joys of talking on the Internet :)
Old 08-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
LOL

Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me (cave76) or the first person who said that ghee should be fairly soft?

My ghee is hard in the fridge--- really almost rock hard.

The joys of talking on the Internet :)
I was disagreeing with Charlie and agreeing with you.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #25
Certified Cake Maniac

My Ghee, whether I make it myself or buy it from the market, goes into the fridge and is very hard. If it is on the counter, it will soften a bit, but I keep it refrigerated and take out what I need with a knife.

I use a lot of Ghee because it takes out most of the lactose and casein that bothers TB and I. It is great for scampi, asparagus, pasta with garlic butter, etc. Much better than margarine. There are times though that I can't use it in place of butter, like baking - here I use a non-soy or dairy margarine.

I admit I haven't read all of this thread so if I have contradicted anyone, my apologies. I am just going by what I do and know.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
MrsLMB----- that sounds like a good idea! Thanks. Maybe even freeze it in a dedicated ice cube tray and then take them out and put in ziplocks to put in the freezer? I like how all our ideas generate other ideas.
I love the ice cube tray for so many things. If you find you need a certain amount more consistantly, you can measure that amount into the individual spots, let it harden and keep it in a larger mason jar in your fridge.

Personally, I'd keep it on the counter. The recipes I've seen make several pints so pull out what you need.

Sorry to hijack your thread with a question but ... what is the difference between clarified butter and ghee?
Old 08-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
I love the ice cube tray for so many things. If you find you need a certain amount more consistantly, you can measure that amount into the individual spots, let it harden and keep it in a larger mason jar in your fridge.

Personally, I'd keep it on the counter. The recipes I've seen make several pints so pull out what you need.

Sorry to hijack your thread with a question but ... what is the difference between clarified butter and ghee?
Ghee is cooked much longer than what we usually call clarified butter. It is cooked long enough that the solids caramelize and change the flavour of the butter oil. Ghee is a form of clarified butter.

Ghee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 08-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #28
Head Chef

Thank you!
Old 08-04-2013, 12:21 AM   #29
Master Chef

I guess either I am wrong or Russian equivalent is different. will gave to ask my mother .
Old 08-28-2013, 04:02 AM   #30
Senior Cook

Ghee will keep on the counter for months. However if it is going to be awhile between uses I will stick it in the fridge until I need it again. I keep mine in a microwave safe container so I can melt it if I need to. It will harden somewhat even at room temp, unless you keep your kitchen very very warm indeed.

I should say, properly made ghee. It must be slow-cooked until all the solids brown and drop to the bottom, then strained to leave all the solids behind.

Tags
butter, recipe, temperature

Ghee (clarified butter) at room temperature I make ghee because I cook Indian food often/occasionally and also use it for other cooking. What I know is I'm told to keep it in the 'fridge' for safety. Now, the dilemma -----if it's cold I can barely scoop out spoonfuls of it to use it's so hard. I can, of course, melt it a little in the microwave----- but-----can I say I'm lazy? and wondering if heating in the MW over and over is o.k. (I put the ghee in pint jars for the 'fridge.) So. I would like 'personal experiences' about keeping it on the countertop. I won't hold you responsible for my ruined ghee---:wink:-- just want to know. If the consensus is NO------ I guess I'll have to get those little sauce plastic cups and put a couple of tablespoons in each them and freeze or refrigerate them. Did I say I'm lazy? 3 stars 1 reviews