Ghost peppers are officially terrifying!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skittle68

Sous Chef
Bf had a jar of ghost peppers a friend of his grew and canned, and it's only getting older so I decided to cut one up and put it in a big batch of home made salsa. I wore gloves of course, but then I made the not so brilliant decision to touch the tip of my tongue to the knife after I was done pulverizing the pepper. OMG!! I spit in the sink to try to prevent it from working its way down my throat, and that may or may not have helped. I decided to only add almost half of the pepper. The rest went in the garbage (there are still at least 15 left in the jar). My next not so brilliant decision was to use the sprayer to rinse off the cutting board before I put it in the dishwasher. This created a lovely ghost pepper mist, which I inhaled, leaving me coughing and sneezing uncontrollably for about 5 min. Maybe it was the intense heat, maybe the coughing and sneezing, but I'm left with a mild headache and nauseous feeling to remember my first ghost pepper experience by. On the bright side, the salsa seems to have about the right amount of heat. ::rolls eyes::

I bought some ghost pepper cheese last week. I eat one slice and then spend the next 20 minutes in eye-watering pain. For some reason I never feel like having a second slice.

img_1176818_0_6d4e9136614b1cfb5d4324af502509b8.jpg

Interesting Post ...

I believe there was or is a member who would or was interested in piquant chili peppers of this nature.

Thanks for posting & all the feedback and Craig, thanks for your data on topic.
Margi.

Never had the opportunity to try the ghost chile......I doubt I will go out of my way to try it. I figger if it ain't good and fun to eat...what's the point?
I turned in my membership card in the official "what was I thinking when I ate that?" chilehead club a while back

They are useful though. When you need to fire up a large pot of chili, you don't need a bunch of them to do the job. I used 1, dried ghost pepper in a 3 gallon pot of chilli and it came out just right.

I purchased a jar of habenero peppers, as I had eaten them fresh before, without too much discomfort. The peppers in the jar were significantly hotter than were the fresh peppers. They lit me up. I use them, but sparingly.

The most foolish thing I ever did while working with hot peppers was to think that washing my hands with soap and water would protect my nether regions when I had to answer natures call. I'll only go so far as to say that the pain lasts for about 15 to 20 minutes.:ohmy: Lesson learned. I wear disposable gloves now when working with really hot peppers.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

They are useful though. When you need to fire up a large pot of chili, you don't need a bunch of them to do the job. I used 1, dried ghost pepper in a 3 gallon pot of chilli and it came out just right.

I purchased a jar of habenero peppers, as I had eaten them fresh before, without too much discomfort. The peppers in the jar were significantly hotter than were the fresh peppers. They lit me up. I use them, but sparingly.

The most foolish thing I ever did while working with hot peppers was to think that washing my hands with soap and water would protect my nether regions when I had to answer natures call. I'll only go so far as to say that the pain lasts for about 15 to 20 minutes.:ohmy: Lesson learned. I wear disposable gloves now when working with really hot peppers.

Stirling once made a blog post entitled "Great Balls of Fire" :ohmy::LOL::ROFLMAO:

I really have to stop laughing now. It wasn't funny.

Chief Longwind Of The North said:

Lol...

We happened to be walking around town and stopped to taste this and that at a couple of shops. At one, husband tasted ghost peppers. Now, we like hot food and have good tolerance for it, but I draw the line at habeneros so didn't even try these (I would like to be able to taste other foods within a day or so of eating something hot). He went on and on, and we stopped in the nearest thirst parlor. The owner said, "YOU tried the ghost chillies?" He then told everyone at the bar that it was an emergency and got husband a beer and slice of bread.

Last edited:
Every year, a few of my friends do the "man challenge", which consists of eating the hottest pepper you can find. Whoever can go the longest without reaching for their glass of water wins. I LOVE hot stuff. I add unbelievable amounts of pepper flakes and sriracha to just about everything, and I willingly eat any kind of pepper I can get my hands on. I like the heat, it's interesting. I'll probably try a ghost pepper and a naga viper if I come across them. I hope they're everything everyone says. It's like riding a roller coaster! Pure adrenaline rush! haha

Chief Longwind Of The North said:

I've done the same thing, apparently the stuff will transfer to toilet paper....

I don't cook with hot peppers anymore, I'll go out and eat spicy stuff.

I feel sorry for the person that chops up some ghosts or vipers, heck serrano or jap without hand protection touches their significant other in a sensative area!:ohmy:

I feel sorry for the person that chops up some ghosts or vipers, heck serrano or jap without hand protection touches their significant other in a sensative area!:ohmy:
I made a mistake having a few beers & shots one day before cutting up serrano peppers.Right after I cut them up without gloves I had to take a whizz really bad.I ran to the shower shortly after:LOL:.I have habanero peppers whole sometimes,can't imagine having a ghost & wouldn't dare to try a moruga scorpion pepper whole

Stirling once made a blog post entitled "Great Balls of Fire"

My late brother (Duck Koo Kom on 'Zaar) once posted "Penile Jalapenosis" to a usenet group. I tried to find it once with Google but couldn't.

I have never had a ghost chili and probably never will (maybe if I am in New York and go for that Man vs Food challenge, but probably not). I can eat Matouk's sauce in small amounts but Filipino siling labuyo chilis, which are about the same Scoville rating, are too hot for me. Maybe because the ones I tried were in a vinegar brine, vinegar seems to intensity chili heat.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom