Ghost peppers are officially terrifying!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This competition to create the world's hottest pepper is bizarre to me. I enjoy heat in some foods. I don't feel the need to prove I can eat a hotter chile or food item than the next guy.

This competition to create the world's hottest pepper is bizarre to me. I enjoy heat in some foods. I don't feel the need to prove I can eat a hotter chile or food item than the next guy.

Yep.... I can't fathom the thinking behind anyone who does it just to show how much they can stand. I want peppers to be at a heat level where I can taste the flavor of the pepper. If I can't taste it, then I might as well just add straight capsaicin to the dish.

I think this is why I use a lot of jalapeños. I've learned to more or less control the heat by how much of the core I remove, and I love the flavor of the peppers themselves. When I have something that needs some spice without much flavor, then I may finely mince a habeñero, or just season with ghost pepper salt, neither which will do much to change the flavor profile. I have no use for anything hotter than that.

Ghost pepper used to be used as an Elephant pest control and not human food. So when elephants came to dine on the farmers crop , the first thing they got was peppers and would leave.

I was thinking of doing that next spring if I am able to put in a garden. We have so many deer and bears that vegetable gardens have to be fenced in like Fort Knox.

I had brought Craig some dried ghost peppers a while back and remembered them when I needed a hot dried chile for the harissa paste I was making. Since I was scared of it being too hot, I only used a small piece of the smallest chile in the bag. Have to say, the finished harissa paste was pretty good and definitely not overly spicy. I'll use a bigger piece next time. Course my tolerance isn't exactly normal after being exposed for years to Craig's preference for really spicy food.

My wife laughed recently when she was out to lunch with girlfriends and ate very spicy food that her friends couldn't touch.
I've trained her well.

People may be full of hot pepper bravado .... my ex is one. But there were weekends that she resultantly had to stay in bed ...

What goes in comes out .... and with super hot peppers it's often unusually unpleasant ....

I've never understood it either. I used to grow Thai Hots, and a crazy restaurant owner who was a friend at the time until he turned out to be more than we could handle, and DH, would eat handfuls of them. Not me.

Habaneros and Scotch bonnets are pretty much my limit. They are wonderful tasting and plenty hot. In fact, I have to be in the mood for very hot to eat those.

OK, I've officially cried uncle. I will paraphrase the lyrics to a tune I used to listen to by Elton John, titled - "Indan Sunset". Here's my version: "I heard from passing renegades, Geronimo is dead. He'd been layin' down his weapons, when they filled him full of Chief Longwind's hottest chili!

The taste testing went fine, and I had no problems with what I thought was the spicy heat. Then, while slurping in a tbs., the chili started going down the wrong hole, which was mildly irritating, but made me cough, sending the chili barely into my nasal passages. Yeh, it burned for about 5 minutes. At least the time it takes for pepper heat to cool down has decreased from 15 to 5 minutes.

Ok, I put some into a container for a guy at work who loves chili. I did this before adding any chili heat. Then it was time to make it The Chief's Chili. I placed 7 japones, 4 CArolina Reapers, and 4 ghost peppers, along with green and orange sweet peppers. I blended them with a bit of water to make a chili mash. I added it to my 3 quarts of chili simmering on the stove. Then, I added 1/2 tsp. ea. - powdered ghost pepper, powdered Trinidad Scorpions, and Carolina Reaper, all finally ground. I stirred the pot and tasted. Was still ok with the heat and loved the flavor, So, I've been hungry for some hot chili so I served myself about 3 tbs. in a small ramecan. As I ate it, (with a tsp.) the flavor was great, and the heat was tolerable. About 10 seconds or so later, my mouth was on serious fire. a pint of water did nothing to cool it. Nor did milk or ice cubes.

After 5 minutes of pain, the heat just went away. Oh, and another siIde effect of this chili batch was nausea. That never happened to me before. Right now, I'm not supposed to consume any dairy. But I could not envision vomiting that chili up my nose. The milk took away the nausea. I have never eaten anything that hot before. I portioned out the chili into freezer bags to use as chili starter. That way, the heat can be diluted.

Funny thing, though that chili was too hot for me :ohmy:, I kept eating a spoonfull here and there while filling the freezer bags. In small amounts this chili is excellent. But wow is it hot!

My salsa, I called it Raging Bull, Too hot for Texans. This chili, I'm calling firestorm, after the firestorms in forest that consume everything in their paths.

Oh, and if you're in the mood for it, besides the peppers, I used:
1. GFS Hot Chili Powder,
2. 1 large, yellow onion, cut into 8 chunks
3. 1 large green bell pepper, large dice
4. 1 large orange bell pepper, large dice
5. 2 stalks clean and sliced celery
6. 19 oz can diced tomatoes
7. 1 19 oz, can whole tomatoes, cut into eight chunks
8. 2 11 1/2 cans dark red kidney beans
9. 2 11 1.2 oz. can black beans
10. Ground Cummin
11. Ground Coriander.

Adjust for heat to taste.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of he North

Last edited:
I don't find that water really helps get rid of capsaicin heat in the mouth. Water with lemon juice does help.

Mmmmmm chili. I always add a couple T of lemon juice and some brown sugar to taste, and a little Worcestershire, but otherwise our recipes are pretty similar :)

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Chief, have you lost your mind? That would have blown my head off.

I think you kept going back for more because you were addicted to the endorphins.

Next time, remember to keep some peanut butter handy. It works better than milk or dairy butter.

DW tells the story of her dad eating spicy food one night, and ice cream for desert. The next morning, whe could hear him through the bathroom door, "C'mon ice cream."

Fortunately for me, it's only hot on the way in, and not on the way out.:ohmy::LOL:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

DW tells the story of her dad eating spicy food one night, and ice cream for desert. The next morning, whe could hear him through the bathroom door, "C'mon ice cream."

Fortunately for me, it's only hot on the way in, and not on the way out.:ohmy::LOL:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I've heard that story a thousand times since I was in grade school.;)

My ex was always going on how hot he could eat and so did his brother in law. Well my ex spent a morning on the toilet crying in pain and bleeding and his brother in law spent 2 days in hospital due anaphylaxis due to the amount of chili they ate and he didnt listen to his body saying stop. He cant even eat bell pepper today without his throat swelling up.

Trust me, the amount they ate with alcohol was idiotic, if one ate a habanero the other ate two, then add on chili vodka and beer... It was plain stupid.

I will never forget when Craig and his brother decided to do a taste test of a bunch of Craig's hot sauces quite a few years ago. He had a pretty good collection back then. They were using crackers and had been working their way through, when Craig sprinkled several droplets of Dave's Insanity on his cracker, passed the bottle to his brother who proceeded to do the same, while Craig ate his cracker. Just as his brother popped his cracker in his mouth, I swear to you Craig's eyes bugged out, then his brother's eyes did, they both flushed red, started sweating bullets. Craig finally wheezed out "Sorry man, I was going to stop you but I couldn't talk." They hit the honey pot and milk to cool down the fire. Meanwhile, I'm LMAO, practically ROF.

At a party I attened , I walked in and put the bottle of Dave insanity sauce on the table in the hall way while I was taking off my jacket and shoes, as you do here. I then got called over to some friends and forgot to take with the bottle with me.

Fast forward 20 minutes, there is black out it so dark we are stumbling around trying to find candles. The host says from the bathroom, can any one hand me the bottle on the little black table ? Some one handed him the hot sauce and he used it as after shave. The screams of horror and stumbling and yelling and then the light came on and scream over the fact he had just rubbed his face Daves insanity sauce.
We laughed and felt sorry for the guy.

Back
Top Bottom