"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-03-2016, 11:58 AM   #1
Head Chef

Giuseppe's on 28th copycat Bolognese

I came up with this using a combo of another copycat recipe I found plus watching the YouTube video of the Diners, Drive-ins and Dives episode that featured this restaurant. Made a few changes of my own and may make a few more next time, namely adding a little more rosemary and thyme, maybe even some basil. Wouldn't advise upping the red pepper flakes unless you like your sauce spicy. The other copycat recipe suggested adding a 14 oz can of diced tomatoes with juice. I didn't do that but if you want it to have more of a tomato base you might.

This makes a lot, probably 6-10 servings depending on whether you have hearty or light eaters.

2-1/2 pounds g. beef
1 lb g. turkey
1-1/2 pounds Italian sausage, mixed H and M, bulk or remove from casing
salt and black pepper

1/2 lb bacon, chopped
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
1 large red onion, diced
20 garlic cloves, minced
6 oz tomato paste
3 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 Tbsp dried thyme
1 Tbsp fresh chopped rosemary
salt and pepper

2 cups ruby cabernet
2 cups water (or stock, I mixed beef and chicken)
plus more liquid as needed during cooking to keep moist

Parmigiano bone

1-1/2 lbs b/s chicken thighs
1 lb chicken livers, minced finely or ground

Brown g. beef, g. turkey, sausage, S and P in a very large pot. Add wine and water/stock.

Cook bacon in a large skillet, remove. Add carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper, and a bit of olive oil to bacon grease and saute until almost soft, add garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook in. Add spices and herbs and cook in. Add to meat mixture. Add parm bone. Low simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Add chicken and chicken livers, simmer for another 1-1/2 hours. Add liquid as needed during both simmers. Skim excess fat as it rises. Remove chicken, shred and return to pot.

Serve with fresh tagliatelle.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:11 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

It's interesting to me that tomato paste is the only tomato. Does the sauce come out a little sweet?

Old 05-03-2016, 12:12 PM   #3
Master Chef

Thanks for the recipe MT!! It sounds just wonderful.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:14 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Thanks for the recipe MT!! It sounds just wonderful.
You're welcome.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:17 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It's interesting to me that tomato paste is the only tomato. Does the sauce come out a little sweet?
Not at all, just really meaty and rich tasting with a bit of spice from the red pepper flakes.

Only using the t.paste was one of the things Guy questioned the owner about, and he said that was all he used. It's only that little skinny can with all the meat and vege, pretty much can't even tell it's there.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:47 PM   #6
Master Chef

Med, could you please pass on that video? I'd love to see it.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:55 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Not at all, just really meaty and rich tasting with a bit of spice from the red pepper flakes.

Only using the t.paste was one of the things Guy questioned the owner about, and he said that was all he used. It's only that little skinny can with all the meat and vege, pretty much can't even tell it's there.
Thanks, it certainly looks and sounds delicious. This is a favorite dish of mine.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:11 PM   #8
Master Chef

Medtran, this sounds delicious - thank you so much for sharing.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:43 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Med, could you please pass on that video? I'd love to see it.
DDD - Homestyle, season 6, episode 8

The segment for Giuseppe's starts at 7 minutes, bolognese cooking starts about 8 minutes.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:01 PM   #10
Master Chef

Thanks for that MT. No wonder you were inspired! Now I am too!!

Tags
beef, chicken, italian sausage, mirepoix, recipe, turkey

Giuseppe's on 28th copycat Bolognese I came up with this using a combo of another copycat recipe I found plus watching the YouTube video of the Diners, Drive-ins and Dives episode that featured this restaurant. Made a few changes of my own and may make a few more next time, namely adding a little more rosemary and thyme, maybe even some basil. Wouldn't advise upping the red pepper flakes unless you like your sauce spicy. The other copycat recipe suggested adding a 14 oz can of diced tomatoes with juice. I didn't do that but if you want it to have more of a tomato base you might. This makes a lot, probably 6-10 servings depending on whether you have hearty or light eaters. 2-1/2 pounds g. beef 1 lb g. turkey 1-1/2 pounds Italian sausage, mixed H and M, bulk or remove from casing salt and black pepper 1/2 lb bacon, chopped 1 cup diced carrots 1 cup diced celery 1 large red onion, diced 20 garlic cloves, minced 6 oz tomato paste 3 tsp red pepper flakes 1/2 Tbsp dried thyme 1 Tbsp fresh chopped rosemary salt and pepper 2 cups ruby cabernet 2 cups water (or stock, I mixed beef and chicken) plus more liquid as needed during cooking to keep moist Parmigiano bone 1-1/2 lbs b/s chicken thighs 1 lb chicken livers, minced finely or ground Brown g. beef, g. turkey, sausage, S and P in a very large pot. Add wine and water/stock. Cook bacon in a large skillet, remove. Add carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper, and a bit of olive oil to bacon grease and saute until almost soft, add garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook in. Add spices and herbs and cook in. Add to meat mixture. Add parm bone. Low simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Add chicken and chicken livers, simmer for another 1-1/2 hours. Add liquid as needed during both simmers. Skim excess fat as it rises. Remove chicken, shred and return to pot. Serve with fresh tagliatelle. 3 stars 1 reviews