Go Chu Jang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
I got some at Walmart yesterday. It had a $2 instant saving coupon attached, so I had to get it. Now what do I do with it?

My longtime partner (now ex and BFF) owns a Korean condiment manufacturing company. She makes gochujang (hot pepper paste), deonjang (soybean paste) and gangjang (soy sauce)

Rhei-Maid Gochujang Is Boston Chefs' Secret Ingredient

I've been eating it, helping her make it and developing recipes using it for many years.

Her product tastes a lot different than what you would buy at WalMart but I'll try to post some recipes using it. My recipes are for non-Korean dishes.

Thank you! This stuff actually tastes good by itself, it's Bibigo brand. I may buy some more if it's still $2 off.

Last edited:
Maybe not traditional, but there ARE recipes that use gochujang.

Kimchi uses gochugaru which is dried red pepper powder.

The other ingredients in gochujang would make the kimchi sort of odd in taste and in texture, IMO.

Definitely not traditional or common at all...

While jenny is ultimately correct, I've seen recipes tbat use gochujang as a shortcut when making a short fermented kimchi.

I can see how it is vastly different, though, than using a garlic/gochugaru/salt paste when making traditional kimchi.

It would be like using ketchup to make a tomato sauce. It could work, if you knowvwhat you are doing.

Dawg, think of gochujang as a spicy ketchup, Korean style. It's a condiment, a marinade, and an ingredient in many dishes from soup, to roasts, to veggie dishes, and on and on. Again, what could you conceivably do with ketchup.

Last edited:
Wonderful suggestions, all, can't wait to start marinating and bibimbapping! Thanks!

Great analogy, Bucky. I'm a bit of a ketchup freak.

Heh. Just when I think I was starting to figure out Thai, then Korean cooking steps in.

Last edited:
Oh, then you're gonna love this.

It gets addictive, kinda like Frank's or Sriracha, so be prepared.

The next thing you should look for is called ssamjang. A soybean paste that is the yang to gochujang's yin.

Dawg, thank you for posting this thread!
It got me thinking about my pantry and what
Asian ingredients I'm missing... perfect timing, `cuz
we're headed back down to the Sonoran Desert,
and I have already made plans to visit my
favorite Asian Market, we don't have one up here
at the Gateway to The Grand Canyon :)
My grocery list just got quite a bit longer... note to self:
Take the BIG cooler :LOL:

Hey, K-girl, you should start a thread about inspiration for your shopping list.

It would be cool to hear what folks think about their choices when shopping as far as howvthey cook

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom