"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 12-19-2006, 09:27 AM   #21
Head Chef

We've never had any trouble with the uncooked rice. Of course, they're usually left to simmer for quite a while before eating them. (No concerns here with cabbage being sealed too tight, either)

And of course, on the odd occasion that there are any leftovers - they're even better the next day.

I have a roaster full of them simmering away right now here at work for the office potluck. Made them last night, and they've been going since 7am. It's 9:30 now, figure I might be able to hold out for another 30 minutes or so....

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:32 AM   #22
Head Chef

Thanks to this thread, this is what I'll be fixing for Christmas dinner for the hubby and I!! Hope I can hold out that long!!

Old 12-19-2006, 09:42 AM   #23
Sous Chef

ronjohn - Cool. Now that you mention cooking time, I felt I needed to add something else I forgot to mention.

My previous cooking time recommended by a few of my trusted books was 45-75minutes which brought the filling to 165F. This provided for a tender filling, but the flavors didn't develop enough and the cabbage still had too much tooth for my liking. I let another batch go about 3hrs, and felt they came out perfect. The ground meat went from the tender, to the overcooked, to the "braised" stage. So the final product was still tender, but also had an incredible amount of flavor passed around. I did find that this process generated extra juices though. My first thought was that the rice could have cooked in the amount that was released. I'm worried about the rice in the top of the rolls though that is above the level of the liquid. I suppose in a covered steaming environment it should cook. I guess I'll find out next batch...

Still have those two extra raw ones to cook up using bacon to try how that extra flavor component pans out.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:46 AM   #24
Head Chef

Nicholas, I do mix in a bit of the sauce with the meat/rice mixture before rolling in the cabbage. Just the way I was taught and it does add more flavor. If you are worried about the rice not cooking all the way, you can use the instant rice; in fact that was the secret to an old neighbor's recipe that taught me to make these. I use regular long grain as I do cook these for a long time in the oven. Will have to try them in the crockpot but I always forget I have them.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:48 AM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunka
Thanks to this thread, this is what I'll be fixing for Christmas dinner for the hubby and I!! Hope I can hold out that long!!
Here... Let me help!

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Golabki.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	2265  

Old 12-19-2006, 03:14 PM   #26
Sous Chef

Looks good ronjohn!

One thing I'm trying to prevent though, is the separation and/or thinning of the sauce. See how on yours there are tomato solids on the tops of the rolls, and a thin broth around the edges? Thats the way my first couple batches were. Building a sauce with roux helps some, but the sauce still ends up a bit thin such as in my photo. I'm hoping that using uncooked rice will help absorb some of the liquids given off by the breakdown of the cabbage and meat tissues (combined with the Roux).

Some recipes recommend building a sauce separately, and then serving the rolls on it after simmering in broth and tomato juice.

I'm also considering the use of a technique used in many other braised dishes. Remove the rolls, and reduce the sauce/add more roux, then re-introduce the rolls to the thickened/concentrated sauce. Running the tomaters through a food mill first helps too, as it prevents the tomato solids from weeping later on.

Hit Barnes & Noble again today and picked up some new recipes to try out from their Polish cookbook collection. Some of the books looked like they hadn't been updated in 50yrs, but the recipes were incredibly elegant through their simplicity. I noticed in a few of those old recipes the use of old bread soaked in milk as a component for the stuffing. Many of the old recipes didn't seem to include rice either. I like rice in mine though.

Oh well, tomorrow I'm going to fire off another couple batches.
You guys are making me hungry with the talk and photos!
Old 12-19-2006, 04:00 PM   #27
Head Chef

LOL!

See, now the sauce has never been an issue with us! Half the family loves the top golabki like that, and the other half always digs for the ones on the bottom, dropping the top ones back in where the sauce reabsorbs the tomato.

But yes, using a roux to make a tomato "gravy" would help with that.

John

Old 12-19-2006, 04:21 PM   #28
Head Chef

Yup, you got me drooling all over my keyboard now ronjohn!!!!!! Your's looks just the same as mine do and I think I am moving up the making of these by a couple of days. If I keep looking at your picture, it will have to be as soon as tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-20-2006, 12:13 PM   #29
Sous Chef

I'm putting off the next batch until tomorrow.
I forgot I have a chicken I bought that needs cooking.

Back to Golabkis tomorrow...
Old 12-20-2006, 03:15 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

My heritage is Ukranian. My mother used to spread undiluted Campbells Tomato Soup between layers of Cabbage rolls-OR Campbells Cream of Mushroom Soup. The Cabbage rolls had a rice/onion/ground beef filling. I also remember we'd core the cabbage head, blanch it in boiling water, then thinly pare the spine of each leaf to make rolling easier.The old, damaged leaves lined the bottom of the roaster. Ah, 50 year old memories are fun. Happy Hollidays. Paul

Tags
None