Haggis help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And you think of yourselves as gourmands...? Pshawwwww......:chef:

If I have managed to bring mysel to try Durian fruit and other delectable foodstuffs.... you lot are WIMPS:mrgreen:

Hmmm - the last two posters will consider that they are giving deadly insult to my national dish, I hope?:ermm:

For a nation that eats grits, scrapple, loose meat etc.... well, I think it's a case of kettle, pot and black!!!:mrgreen:

I think we need to keep this on a positive note and remember what all of our mothers have told us a million times...

If you can't say something nice... :mrgreen:

I have never tried haggis, but I saw it being prepared once on one of Tony Bordains shows. I have to say that the thought of some of the organ meats is hard for me to handle, but I think it would taste good if I could get past the mental part of it. I will definitely try it if it were put in front of me.

I think there are many that would like it if they did not know what they were eating at the time. I admit that I am like that at times. I had haggis once when I was a small child and it was not bad. Of course it was made by a true Scot; I think that is what made the difference.

I also am well versed in haggis and other British sausages and pates. They are differently spiced than American pork sausages. And a Haggis is made from lamb parts, so the flavor is quite different, plus it is usually steamed, where most Americans would prefer such items fried in a pan or grilled.Pretty much haggis is "lamb scrapple" using oatmeal instead of whole wheat and corn meals. A butcher made one is very fine (but I do like it fried up!) A "tinned one" would be not so good. Keep it as a door stop. :chef:

My wife & I once attended a semi-formal dress Scottish event at the local civic center. I forget the exact focus, but the event was replete with bagpipes, kilts, and a processional for "bringing in the haggis".

Also seated at our table was an older, scholarly-looking gentleman who was apparently married to one of the event's (Scottish) organizers. He declined the haggis when the server got to him. After everyone was served, and I was getting ready to try haggis for the first time, I asked him why he declined. With a knowing smile he said, "I know what's in it".

Not something I could eat every day, but thought the haggis was good. :)

Tom

From what I understand, canned Haggis is nothing like fresh Haggis, so you wouldn't be getting the true "Haggis experience" from it

Haggis, neeps and tatties is one of my all time top 10 favourite meals. Haggis is delicious - rather like a sort of peppery sausagemeat. Is offal not favoured in America then?

Like tinned haggis, tinned mushy peas are dire and proper dried peas are a whole different ball game. I've no doubt that 'real' American hot dogs are a world away from some of the offerings we get here....

Bee said:
Haggis, neeps and tatties is one of my all time top 10 favourite meals.
What are neeps and tatties? I don't know what they are, but I like the way it sounds :chef:

I asked my british hubby what haggis is and he said stuffed sheeps stomach and oatmeal. When asked if he tried it, he said NOPE. This coming from a man who eats steak and kidney pie! Im not much into organ meats at all. I've tried beef liver, and chicken liver, thats as far as I go. I quite liked chikens livers with onions actually.

Neeps is mashed Swede (don't ask me HOW we corrupted Swede to 'neeps) or I think it is known in the US as rutabaga

Tatties is just mashed poh tah toes..... Tattoes - tatties...

Amber, I'm assuming your British husband is English or Welsh? Cos no British person of Scots derivation would admit they didn't like Haggis (even if they didn't!)

Unfortunately, most of the stuff available in the US is tinned - which kind of defeats the object, as the US Agriculture folk insist it is pasteurised (or some such process)... weird from a county which boast scrapple as a dish!

most of our "sausages" derive from Roman cooking, and haggis can be traced to such a recipe. As can scrapple. Obvoiusly local ingredients change flavors and local cooking methods do to. But a frugal people don't waste any part of the animal so that which was too tough or too small (little strips of meat) were ground up with meal and stuffed into something. Offal (inards or organs) are quite wonderful fresh. In America, often the liver is frozen and that really changes the texture and the taste. But Liver with bacon and onions, or with a tomato sauce is quite wonderful, medium rare.
Kidneys are not done much in the US but a few restaurants can serve them and my mom from British Columbia introduced me to them early in life. A steak and kidney pie is the richest beef stew you'll ever eat. awesome. and on it goes. properly prepared it is all quite wonderful. Eel anyone??

I don't eat kidneys - afraid they smell a little 'wild' to my nose.

But, eels - I like. I love the smoked eels from the Kiel Canal in Germany... yum. Can't stand the English stewed eels with loads of jelly and mash potatoes...

We went to the Scottish Highland games today and had
Haggis for the first time. I thought it was really good.
I need to find a good recipe and try making it.

steak and kidney pie too. It must be good!!

Ishbel said:
See...... and people laughed when I said it was good!!! :chef:

I've been in Greece and had goat brains. I
wouldn't laugh at a lambs tummy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom