"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-09-2004, 01:55 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to cooking=love
Haggis help please

Here's my problem,
My Sister made a vacation trip to England and Scotland. She brought me back a can of Haggis. I don't know what to do with it!? I am pretty adventurous but this really scares me. I am afraid to even open it, I don't know what I am going to see.
I might consider trying something like that if over there in a restarant, but canned? I am sure she meant well.
Thanks for any advice you all have for me. I appreciate it.

Old 08-09-2004, 03:45 PM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
Haggis is an acquired taste. It is made with oats and unspeakable bits of dead animals, and it's one of those things you either like or you don't. I have not had tinned haggis, only the fresh kind.

Best of luck, give it a try and report on your findings. Drown it in ketchup!!! The Scots are a strange race, apparently they claim to be the first to batter and deep fry mars bars. Weird people. And the put butter and salt on their porridge instead of sugar or syrup!

Old 08-09-2004, 04:52 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Re: Need Your Advice about this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooking=love
Here's my problem,
My Sister made a vacation trip to England and Scotland. She brought me back a can of Haggis. I don't know what to do with it!? I am pretty adventurous but this really scares me. I am afraid to even open it, I don't know what I am going to see.
I might consider trying something like that if over there in a restarant, but canned? I am sure she meant well.
I would dump it. I am adventurous too but I have seen it made and have decided not to try it. Canned :?: :?: :?: Yuck :?: The other day I tried some canned creamed peas. I took one bite and tossed in in the garbage. One of the worse things I have ever tasted.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:39 PM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Re: Need Your Advice about this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooking=love
Here's my problem,
You could serve it to your sister when she visits! lol Or you could do what I would probably do--bury it far from home! I've never had it, but I've heard enough about it.

:) Barbara

P.S. Is your sister a jokester? Did she bring it back as a joke or was she serious?
Old 08-09-2004, 09:40 PM   #5
Cook

I would just keep it as a novelty item. I am not sure what it would taste like though. But if you want to try it, I would fry it like corned beef hash.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:51 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to cooking=love
I don't think she was joking...she said that she thought I was the only one she knew brave enough to try it. I don' t think I am.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:23 PM   #7
Head Chef

Canned green peas are a staple food in Lancashire!!! Fish and chips and mushy peas. I can't eat them either, unless I have drunk a lot of beer!!!
Old 08-10-2004, 04:34 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
bangbang - I never knew there was such a thing as canned creamed peas. When I was little Bird's Eye made frozen creamed peas with little cubes of potatoes and I loved them - but I haven't found them in years (I mean YEARS) and when I tried to make them one time they weren't even close - and gosh, how can one get close to processed food? LOL

I don't know what Haggis is and apparently I don't want to know The only thing that comes to mind is Haggard (sp?) in the Harry Potter books, and that's not that great either!

I'm just trying to be brave enough to look it up?

kyles - I was making mushy peas before I knew they were an actual dish! It was a good way to get vegetables down. I also do the same thing but boil carrots along with the potatoes and lightly mash everything together. They're good too!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 04:37 PM   #9
Head Chef

Difference is, I bet your mushy peas taste nice. Ours are made from a dreadful blue thing called marrow pea, then soaked, boiled, mushed, tinned, not nice at all!!!! Oh and heavily salted and doused in vinegar once re heated!!!
Old 08-10-2004, 04:39 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
ewwwwwwww

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None