"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 09-18-2005, 10:01 PM   #1
Cook

Ham Hocks & Beans

I saw a chef today on PBS named Daisy Martinez. She specialized in Puerto Rican cuisine. I was very impressed by several of her dishes but really caught notice of a ham hock she put in her black beans. I live in the D/FW area in Texas and if anybody knows where I can find ham hocks that big and meaty please let me know. The one's I find in grocery stores are small and mostly fat or the sliced bacon strip type. Neither type gives up much meat.

Old 09-18-2005, 10:53 PM   #2
Master Chef

I LOVE Daisy! I really wanted to watch that episode about the beans today ... but I got too engrossed in the Ranger's game and forgot about it ... DRAT!

Technically - a ham hock is the lower portion of a pig's hind leg (generally it's from just above the knee on down) - it's not going to be very meaty - it's used for flavor and it's connective tissue (gelatin) - not for big chunks of meat.

I've watched Daisy before - and what she sometimes calls a ham hock appears to be the hock end of a ham.

I use smoked ham hocks (from Albertsons) to cook my beans - and if I want more meat - I toss in some smoked ham. You should be able to get these at your local grocery store since we live in the same general area.

Old 09-18-2005, 10:57 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
And sometimes you just luck up on some really big ones at the grocery store. There's not very much meat in them like Michael said but what IS there is tasty as long as it's cooked long enough.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 11:17 PM   #4
Master Chef

LOL ... piggy with fat knees?

Trick I learned to get the most flavor ... put the hocks into a pot of COLD water, bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer for about 1-2 hours. Wash and add the beans - bring to a boil and cut the heat off and let steep for an hour or so. Then add additional water as needed and cook.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:45 PM   #5
Cook

;) thanks y'all. I like Daisy too Michael, they played her for a few hours yesterday. I had never heard of her before then. Yea, the best part of beans to me is the ham hock. lol

Tags
None