"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #11
Master Chef

Seems to me we had these at restaurants in Slovenia, and yes, I make them here ... but haven't in awhile.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Seems to me we had these at restaurants in Slovenia, and yes, I make them here ... but haven't in awhile.
well you should claire!
you'll find one variation or another right across the balkans....croatia seems to use sparkling water & serbia baking soda.the mix of meats varies too....ahh well!

Old 08-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #13
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Thanks for the tip on the Baking Soda. I put some seasoned burgers together today using a tsp of baking soda along with the rest of the ingredients.

They grilled up beautifully and I was really pleased with the texture. I even got positive remarks from the teenagers about them.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:34 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
Thanks for the tip on the Baking Soda. I put some seasoned burgers together today using a tsp of baking soda along with the rest of the ingredients.

They grilled up beautifully and I was really pleased with the texture. I even got positive remarks from the teenagers about them.

fantastic .40,glad the burgers got the thumbs up!good 'innit?!! can't take any credit for the idea tho' mate.i guess they have been doing it that way in the balkans since baking soda has been around & it was bolas & madge who told me about it.all i did was use it & post it in the receepee!
interestingly madge,who is croatian,uses fizzy mineral water rather than baking soda.i asked her if it makes the mix too wet & she said no,the meat absorbs the liquid while it is in the fridge after mixing....might try that way next eh?
works it's magic in meatloaf too!
Old 08-28-2012, 11:07 PM   #15
Head Chef

Oooooh! This is the recipe you & Souvlaki were talking about. How'd I miss it. Beautiful pics, too (both yours & Bolas'). Will have to put this on the list. Thanks, H & B.

Bolas' pic, reminded me of these Armenian Kebabs (where the meat is shaped like a log around skewers).

So Amazing Armenian Lula Kebabs Recipe | MyRecipes.com

Armenian Beef Kebabs - Woman's Day
Old 08-29-2012, 03:54 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
Oooooh! This is the recipe you & Souvlaki were talking about. How'd I miss it. Beautiful pics, too (both yours & Bolas'). Will have to put this on the list. Thanks, H & B.

Bolas' pic, reminded me of these Armenian Kebabs (where the meat is shaped like a log around skewers).

So Amazing Armenian Lula Kebabs Recipe | MyRecipes.com

Armenian Beef Kebabs - Woman's Day
thanks c.the magic is in the baking soda as .40calibre found.makes superb light meatloaf too!nice recipes you posted links to matey....no surprise tho' as the eastern med,balkans etc etc are home to the kebab!!
i'm posting a recipe today for lamb kebabs marinated in onion water....amazing grub!
Old 08-29-2012, 04:47 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I think we wil have to make these next week...will get the ingredients soon
Old 08-29-2012, 05:38 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
I think we wil have to make these next week...will get the ingredients soon
spread the word & buy shares in a baking soda manufacturer....this one's gonna fly cobber!!

Tags
beef, lamb, pork, recipe

Harry's Cevapcici Style Burgers hello again.this is my take on a classic balkan kebab.simple ingredients,dead easy to make & mega tasty....as most foods with a few simple ingredients are i find.as most of you will know(if anyone is reading this that is)mrs bolas,my beautiful sister in law is croatian.she tells me that she uses carbonated/sparkling mineral water & not baking soda to get the same effect,so there we are fellow gastronauts,yet another classic with many variations.madge would not be pleased however,to see them made in a burger shape...they are classically made in a sausage shape....don't tell,please! THE INGREDIENTS...i made 2 x 8oz(200grm)burgers...what? no,they weren't both for me so no :pig:'y stuff please a)8ozs(200grms)lean minced beef b)4ozs(100grms)lean minced pork c)4ozs(100grms)lean minced lamb d)1 red onion finely diced e)3-4 cloves garlic peeled & very finely chopped f)1 egg white beaten g)2tsps paprika h)cayenne to taste OR leave out the cayenne/paprika & use i)2tsps HOT paprika(thanks souvlaki!) j)salt & ground black pepper k)1 level tsp baking soda l)very finely chopped flat leaf parsley...add as much or as little as you like THE METHOD 1)chuck everything in a bowl,mix very well with hands,cover & refrigerate for 1 hour to allow the baking soda to work it's magic.it makes the cooked kebab very light in texture. 2)shape as desired 3)fry,griddle or best of all grill on the old bbq 4)i served mine in pita's with hot chilli sauce & salad 5)ENJOY!! 3 stars 1 reviews