Hatch chiles...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I might order some fresh ones this upcoming season. They seem to be available in different heat levels. Will probably roast and can most of them and enjoy some while fresh.

I bet the frozen ones are better.

The Whole Foods in Virginia Beach apparently flew in some fresh ones last year and roasted them in front of the store.

Well, GG, IMHO, the frozen chiles don't have that same "meatiness" as fresh, roasted or even canned. I suppose it's some sort of reaction.
I think I'm going to search for a farm that might be able to join this conversation...

Well, GG, IMHO, the frozen chiles don't have that same "meatiness" as fresh, roasted or even canned. I suppose it's some sort of reaction.
I think I'm going to search for a farm that might be able to join this conversation...

Of course fresh would be best. I find that frozen veggies in general are superior to canned, but I suppose there could be exceptions.

Of course fresh would be best. I find that frozen veggies in general are superior to canned, but I suppose there could be exceptions.

GG, I liked the roasted and frozen that I found at TJ's with one exception...the package was loaded with seeds. I'll check Walmart if they have the frozen here. They would have served my wants with that exception. That's why I'm thinking with the canned whole roasted I could remove the seeds myself.;)

Reviving a resting thread about hatch chiles.

Well, I had really wanted to try some. First we searched out 3 farmers at a market and ended up with poblanos and half sharp banana peppers. Blackened them over a flame, peeled, seeded, stuffed with cheese, wrapped in bacon. Delicious.

Then the second time I made them I roasted them in the broiler. Peeled and seeded them but they lost so much body, I wasn't thrilled with that.They were limp and difficult to stuff and so after stuffing them I froze them. I half cooked the bacon. Then took them out of the freezer, wrapped them in the half cooked bacon and then baked them to perfection. They were delicious. Banana peppers and poblanos have different flavors, the poblanos were much more 'green peppery', both were medium hot.

I much prefer working with the blackened over a flame pepper. They are easier to clean and to handle.

Finally, DH, after reviewing google images of hatch, Anaheim, and banana peppers, went shopping and found Anaheim peppers, FINALLY. We are in the Northern US, so I've never heard of hatch, nor had a conversation about them, up here. In over 50 years of cooking, potlucks, eating out, cooking at home, even teaching my kids when they were youngsters, how to cook, international food fests--no one has ever mentioned hatch chilies. Ever.

I'll roast them and stuff them and wrap them in bacon. I'm so glad to finally have the chance to give these a try. I took a snippet of one of them, and it tasted pretty sweet, I liked it.

hatch chiles are now available locally in Houston and I'd guesstimate in the south as a whole.......the local grocery stores will prepare them any way you want them (grilled, etc.) or you can take them home fresh.....now is the time to buy them if you want them fresh.........as we like HIGH HEAT in any of our peppers, I would not rate hatch chiles as hot at all......it's the flavor that's nice, but you're asking a person who likes really, really spicy/hot.........

I saw fresh hatch chilies at my local store yesterday. Medium and medium large sizes. ( note to Steve K who likes chillies, it was Lunds-Byerly.) Never seen these available here before. Although they could have been and I probably passed them over thinking they were banana peppers. So I'm glad to see this thread pop up and I will pick some up to try.

Like other peppers I have done, I can blister the skins on the charcoal grill. I think I will make a bean cheese onion stuffing and wrap in bacon to finish. I should probably go back through the posts and see if there are recipes, since my idea is kind of free floating.

Yeah, there are several here now. I can do a lot of damage in that store!

We only have one here. I find stuff to be a bit more expensive than Walmart, but the store is clean and well laid out. Also quite popular.

Reviving a resting thread about hatch chiles.

Well, I had really wanted to try some. First we searched out 3 farmers at a market and ended up with poblanos and half sharp banana peppers. Blackened them over a flame, peeled, seeded, stuffed with cheese, wrapped in bacon. Delicious.

I don't peel chiles if I'm going to stuff them. Like you found out, it removes too much structural integrity. I love stuffed chiles, poblanos, jalapeños, Anaheim type chiles (whether New Mexico Hatch or Colorado grown, they are equally good).

I don't peel chiles if I'm going to stuff them. Like you found out, it removes too much structural integrity. I love stuffed chiles, poblanos, jalapeños, Anaheim type chiles (whether New Mexico Hatch or Colorado grown, they are equally good).

I agree. I stuffed some anaheims and a green pepper without peeling them for dinner late last night. I was too hungry to wait and do the extra work of peeling them. The anaheims were warm, heat wise. I really enjoyed the heat level, not too hot. I've had jalapenos that were too hot for my taste but other jalapenos that were just right. What a fun food peppers/chiles have been to prepare and eat.

Those of you that are stuffing should really try what Craig discovered. He uses a hand-held torch (like you'd buy at Home Depot) and chars the skin. Whenever he does chiles or peppers with the torch (versus oven broiler), they are stlil very firm and retain their structure and "meatiness," but you are able to peel them. Even my little mini kitchen torch for things like creme brulee does the same, though it takes a lot longer to do and doesn't char the skin quite as well as the full-size hand-held.

hatch chiles are now available locally in Houston and I'd guesstimate in the south as a whole.......the local grocery stores will prepare them any way you want them (grilled, etc.) or you can take them home fresh.....now is the time to buy them if you want them fresh.........as we like HIGH HEAT in any of our peppers, I would not rate hatch chiles as hot at all......it's the flavor that's nice, but you're asking a person who likes really, really spicy/hot.........

Hatch chile season in winding down here. I nearly had heart failure this morning when I went to get my 6th (!) case of chiles. The roasters were gone.:ohmy: I went in and hesitantly asked the grocer if chile season was over. He said no, but stores in Taos will only be getting one more shipment of cases of chiles, at the end of the week. Here we can get chiles with 4 heat levels; mild, medium, hot and extra hot. At this point in his chile eating life, DH can only tolerate the mild heat.

Those of you that are stuffing should really try what Craig discovered. He uses a hand-held torch (like you'd buy at Home Depot) and chars the skin. Whenever he does chiles or peppers with the torch (versus oven broiler), they are stlil very firm and retain their structure and "meatiness," but you are able to peel them. Even my little mini kitchen torch for things like creme brulee does the same, though it takes a lot longer to do and doesn't char the skin quite as well as the full-size hand-held.

:ROFLMAO: Yet another cooking toy! Great idea though. :devilish:

I have a gas stove, I roast them right on the burner, standing there with my tongs to turn them.

I love having a propane torch, when my yet-to-be husband, shot a deer, took the hide off, he was pleasantly surprised that 'his girl' carried this most important equipment. It is used to burn off the hair from the flesh. And to caramelize sugar.

Back
Top Bottom