"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 04-03-2016, 07:21 PM   #1
Master Chef

Hatch chiles...?

I was lucky enough to grab a package of frozen prepared Hatch Chili's at Trader Joes. They were flying out the door! I've never used them before and I can't find a heat index on them. Since I'm doing my chili rellano casserole tonight, and I've always used 14oz. of canned ortega peppers, I'm hopeful someone can help me out here. How hot are they, in comparison?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:47 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

According to this page - http://ushotstuff.com/Heat.Scale.htm - Hatch chiles are between 5,000 and 6,000 on the Scoville scale. That's not very hot. I've grown Anaheim chiles in my garden, which are a variety of Hatch chiles grown in California. I think they're similar to the canned chiles.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:51 PM   #3
Master Chef

Whoa! Thanks for the quick response GG!! Now I can get in the kitchen and start dinner. I'm anxious to see how they work out with this.

I found this interesting. http://www.eatlikenoone.com/what-is-...im-peppers.htm

Old 04-03-2016, 08:30 PM   #4
Master Chef

I'm busy in the kitchen now so just getting in on this, but that's an interesting article, Kay. That's pretty much what I've heard about Hatch chiles, that it depends on the area and how the growing season is - hot and dry vs wetter, area, etc. When you say you got them frozen and 'prepared' from TJ's, did that mean they were roasted? Just curious - I'm really looking forward to how you liked them in your chile relleno casserole.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:53 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've heard so much about roasted Hatch chilis too. Looking forward to your report, Kay!
Old 04-03-2016, 09:02 PM   #6
Master Chef

Yes, the Hatch chili's were roasted before freezing for Trader Joe's. They are evidently so seasonal for harvest that the word got around my group of friends that they were there a while back so I jumped on a one lb. package. The day I was there almost every cart had at least one package and sometimes several. Now I wish I had been greedy too. I didn't see them again last week.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:09 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Kayelle, if they were not labeled as to their hotness, you just have to taste them. When they come into season here, the cases are labeled from mild (no heat at all) to very hot.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:20 PM   #8
Head Chef

Last year we bought a case of hatch chiles. I spent most of a day seeding, roasting, and peeling them. We still have 3 full gallon size Ziplocks in the freezer.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:47 PM   #9
Master Chef

Oh looks great, Rick! I'd love to have a bunch of frozen chiles in my freezer. Maybe soon, I planted several jalapeno plants a few weeks ago.

Kay, since they were roasted when you bought them, I'll bet your chiles rellenos using the Hatch chiles will be amazing.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:04 PM   #10
Master Chef

I'm joining the fan club of Hatch chili's now. I wish I could describe how different they are from Anaheim. The heat index seems to be just slightly more, and I'm glad I cut back on the amount to 10 oz. for the Rellano casserole, but that could be because there were lots of seeds in the roasted Hatch, and the SC isn't fond of heat. The flavor is so hard to describe, almost like describing the flavor difference between other onions and the unique Vidalia onions of Georgia.
I sure hope you can all try the unique Hatch peppers sometime. They're delicious.

Tags
chili