'Hawaiian' Fried Rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
this looks like what i know as '"real" fried rice, as far as it being a leftovers dish.

thanks for the hawaiian spin on it, kaneohe. i'll have to make it for my parents. they are of the wwii generation and love spam (although my family fought in the european theatres in the big one). i chuckled recently when i was at their house cooking dinner (italian turkey meataballs - meatballs made from ground turkey in an italian american style would be more accurate. btw, ya gotta have the extra 'a' for authenticity) and when i raided my mom's pantry (screw freud if that sounds wrong), i found a few cans of spam. it's abhorrent to so many foodies, but not us gods - you and me.

and yeah, the chief. (if you don't include him he gets upset. geez, here comes the 'i'm not god speech')

ok, so, recipe and techniques look great. i am a bit worried about the rice going into the oil, becoming greasy tasting.

what is the heat source you use, and the cooking vessel, a wok i suppose?

"btw, ya gotta have the extra 'a' for authenticity"
huh? do you mean that I should have titled this thread differently, like Authentic Hawaiian Fried Rice?

As to your question about the oil, you use as much or as little as your household likes.:chef:

"what is the heat source you use, and the cooking vessel, a wok i suppose?"
Well, I presently have a glasstop electric stove and I use the biggest fry pan I've got.
I don't own a wok, never really cared for cooking with them, but that's me.

To me anyways, fried rice is more of a technique.
Recipes to me are simply someones idea; make it your own with what ever spin you like. :yum:

Go wild, add the pineapple or turkey bacon or kielbasa or ham or whatever is in your `fridge.
Go vegetarian even.
Our's usually has some small bit of this or that I just can't bring myself to throw out, but that's how I was raised.
I never throw away edible food (even if DH says it taste like :censored: :LOL:),
you never know where your next meal will come from. :turned:

I thought the same thing!

I found this in the grocery this morning, just enough to satisfy my curiosity! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Single-CLassic.png

WOW!
What a terrific idea!
I've been freezing the portions of Spam that we don't eat.
Like when I make Spam Musubi for just the two of us, I only use half the can
:yum: nom nom nom

Yep, I know for sure you can't buy a $2.00 pineapple there, like I do here.
I love them myself and always have one on hand for grilling.

:LOL:
"I know for sure you can't buy a $2.00 pineapple there, like I do here."
You know it sistah Kayelle!

The pineapples for sale at the green grocer here in the middle of the desert are from Costa Rica and are as green as grass.
Contrary to belief, pineapples do not ripen much more after being picked.

Has anyone been to the Dole Plantation on Oahu?
I went for the very first time on our last trip back home, how funny is that?
:D

Oh and Kayelle, you're on for lunch next time we're up that way. (can't say too much about the food `round these parts ;))

If I remember right, I recall a lot of folks having rice makers that made only sticky rice. Or at least they thought it did. I have always been one to make it from scratch. It is how my mommy taught me. :angel:

go cook rice.jpeg

Sort of Addie
It's more of the rice that you use
Most folks in Hawaii buy 25 pound bags
(it's cheaper that way dontcha know ;))
of medium grain Calrose Rice

Wow, I had to think about this one.
I just, make it. No recipe, just, MAKE IT.
Fried Rice is something I learned to make from my SIL (DH's sister).
Every time that we all went to the beach for the day, she would bring some sort of meat to grill and fried rice. My BIL would grill the meat on his little hibachi and there'd be other goodies to nibble on after body surfing for the afternoon (I shouldn't go there, it makes me homesick). So to me, that's beach food.
Here we are, years later in the middle of the desert and I NEED to have little pieces of home every so often.

View attachment 21726

Hawaiian Fried Rice

Start off with leftover steamed white rice (we use Calrose medium grain rice, Jasmine Rice would do nicely and more popular in grocery stores), the drier the better, I leave our pot from the night before on the counter, lid off to speed up this process.
Add whatever 'goodies' you may have leftover, as much as you like of:
Scrambled eggs or that omelet you didn't finish, diced up
Diced and cooked Breakfast Sausage (we use Linguica or Portuguese Sausage)**
Diced and cooked Spam®, very crisp**
Green onions, sliced on an angle
White onions, chopped and sauteed
If you must, frozen peas and carrots
Soy Sauce
Sesame Oil
(I know some folks who also add about 1-2 Tbsp. Oyster Sauce)
Toasted Sesame Seeds

Preheat a large fry pan, or Wok if you have it, with some neutral oil like canola over medium-high heat.
Once you see wisps of smoke coming off the pan, you gotta move fast
Throw in the rice, stir it around until it's hot
Add in your goodies, stir again
Pour in enough soy sauce to just color the rice, not floating in soy sauce, that's too much
Stir; cover and cook for a few minutes
Dish it up with a drizzle of Sesame oil and Toasted Sesame Seeds, maybe some more Green Onions on top.

**Cook’s Note - the Spam® and the Linguica really make it, or some leftover Teriyaki Chicken, Bacon, Hot Dogs, really whatever you have leftover and like, throw it in. I suppose you could use brown calrose rice as well.**
Try this in the morning with eggs and the breakfast meat of your choice,
like more fried Spam® is nice.
View attachment 21727 View attachment 21728 View attachment 21729
K, it's not a good idea to leave cooked rice out on the counter at room temp overnight. Food poisoning risk!!!!

Can reheating rice cause food poisoning? - Health questions - NHS Choices

I always cook more rice than I need and cool the extra immediately under the cold water tap, drain it well and refrigerate it if I'm going to eat it within 24 hours or freeze it straight away before I do anything else.

K, it's not a good idea to leave cooked rice out on the counter at room temp overnight. Food poisoning risk!!!!

Can reheating rice cause food poisoning? - Health questions - NHS Choices

I always cook more rice than I need and cool the extra immediately under the cold water tap, drain it well and refrigerate it if I'm going to eat it within 24 hours or freeze it straight away before I do anything else.

Well...
What should I say to that?
I, as well as millions of folks in Hawaii have done this and we don't get sick.
I wonder, is it the type of rice, or how it's cook?
Granted, I do put the rice away after a day on the counter, as it will spoil.
Mostly I put any extra cooked rice in portion sizes and into a zip top bag and freeze it.
Then when we want a scoop of rice, I unzip the baggie and nuke it.
It tastes just like freshly made rice, and we don't get sick.
:shrug:
Dunno what else to say...:unsure:

Back
Top Bottom