Hawaiian Guava Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kaneohe, does this need to be grilled over lower heat? i would think with the sugars it might burn easily.

kaneohe, does this need to be grilled over lower heat? i would think with the sugars it might burn easily.

@buckytom, ya know, I have this two burner propane Brinkmann
super-cheap-o grill and I cook everything with both burners on high and I'd estimate that it takes maybe 5 minutes from start to finish.
It has flared from time to time, but I'm sure that you're like me and keep a squirt bottle of water just for that ;)
You might see there is a bit of char on my chicken in the photo that I posted.
But you cook your's how you like it best.
My Mother use to tell us kids, eat the brunt parts,
charcoal is good for you. :stuart:
ALOHA! k~girl

Hawaiian Guava Chicken

1 can frozen Guava Juice concentrate, defrosted
½ C. Ketchup
½ C. Sugar
½ C. Soy Sauce
½ C. Oyster Sauce
¼ tsp. Chinese Five Spice
1 Garlic clove, smashed
5 pounds Chicken Thighs (I use boneless-skinless)

Mix together the first seven ingredients
Pour over the Chicken and marinate for 24 hours
Grill or broil, using the marinade to baste the Chicken
Serve either hot or at room temperature, great for a backyard barbecue, a picnic or a potluck.

*Cook’s note-Guava Juice concentrate can be found in Asian and Hispanic markets

View attachment 21693
Sounds good. Do you think I could substitute a can of guavas pureed and strained for the guava juice concentrate as we don't have it here?

Kgirl, I have some chicken wings swimming around in your marinade and I'll grill them tomorrow. I tasted it before they went for a swim, and put some in a jar for basting both the wings and some fresh pineapple spears. It's gonna be major ono!!!

I found frozen concentrated POG (passion fruit, orange, guava) so I used that instead of the guava juice. In addition to your recipe I also added a big tablespoon of Sambal Oelk (ground fresh chili paste), and a few shakes of fish sauce.

I can hardly wait for tomorrow. Thanks again, and I'll report back.

Kgirl, I have some chicken wings swimming around in your marinade and I'll grill them tomorrow. I tasted it before they went for a swim, and put some in a jar for basting both the wings and some fresh pineapple spears. It's gonna be major ono!!!

I found frozen concentrated POG (passion fruit, orange, guava) so I used that instead of the guava juice. In addition to your recipe I also added a big tablespoon of Sambal Oelk (ground fresh chili paste), and a few shakes of fish sauce.

I can hardly wait for tomorrow. Thanks again, and I'll report back.

My Sistah Kathy, this SOOOOO sounds like a 'winner winner chicken' ...
PLATE LUNCH! HA! No forget the rice sis!
If I might, could I suggest a side dish of Namasu,
I believe I posted that already...
I think you Braddah Steve will like the combo,
sweet, sour, spicy, savory, umami, yeah?
truly a Hawaiian plate lunch special.
I have a chef-y friend in Seattle, he has a Food Truck
as well as a "brick&mortar"; he now serves
Guava Chicken with rice and namasu,
it sells out every day. (lots of Hawaii transplants there ;))

Here you go Kgirl........the wings, pineapple spears and Hawaiian fried rice were ONO!!!

img_1385862_0_daf552ca05caa7be525cee64a3490ff4.jpg

Guava wings

Aloha! This is Kiwina (Steve) commenting on that wonderful dinner! I found the POG concentrate in a Von's in Ventura-our local one does not carry it, unfortunately.
Kayelle was trying to teach me to make the fried rice, but I am on to that! She does a MUCH better job.
The wings were out of sight, and I love the marinated and grilled pineapple. The Hawaiian rice (complete with Spam) was great!!
Thank you for the inspiration.

Aloha! This is Kiwina (Steve) commenting on that wonderful dinner! I found the POG concentrate in a Von's in Ventura-our local one does not carry it, unfortunately.
Kayelle was trying to teach me to make the fried rice, but I am on to that! She does a MUCH better job.
The wings were out of sight, and I love the marinated and grilled pineapple. The Hawaiian rice (complete with Spam) was great!!
Thank you for the inspiration.

Aloha Kakahiaka, Good Morning Braddah Steve!
Did you guys do anything to the Pineapple?
Or a simple grill ala naked?
How spicy was the chicken? I never thought to 'kick it up a notch'

More about the rice, Kgirl...

I had made what my kids used to call "green rice" with dinner the night before. For that, I cook the rice in oil and garlic, add a bag of fresh spinach with half the amount of water normally used. It's really good.

I used the leftovers for the Hawaiian fried rice, with fried Spam, celery, green onion, egg ribbons, and some of the grilled pineapple, chopped. I seasoned the whole thing with fish sauce, and soy sauce.
Boy, was it ever good! :yum:

I wish I had all those beautiful serving pieces, but I love my little oval bowl and use it nearly daily. ;)

Yep, I marinated the pineapple spears before grilling and the addition of the chili heat was fantabulous.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom