"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 09-08-2014, 11:29 AM   #31
Senior Cook

Guava wings

Aloha! This is Kiwina (Steve) commenting on that wonderful dinner! I found the POG concentrate in a Von's in Ventura-our local one does not carry it, unfortunately.
Kayelle was trying to teach me to make the fried rice, but I am on to that! She does a MUCH better job.
The wings were out of sight, and I love the marinated and grilled pineapple. The Hawaiian rice (complete with Spam) was great!!
Thank you for the inspiration.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:36 AM   #32
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Aloha! This is Kiwina (Steve) commenting on that wonderful dinner! I found the POG concentrate in a Von's in Ventura-our local one does not carry it, unfortunately.
Kayelle was trying to teach me to make the fried rice, but I am on to that! She does a MUCH better job.
The wings were out of sight, and I love the marinated and grilled pineapple. The Hawaiian rice (complete with Spam) was great!!
Thank you for the inspiration.
Aloha Kakahiaka, Good Morning Braddah Steve!
Did you guys do anything to the Pineapple?
Or a simple grill ala naked?
How spicy was the chicken? I never thought to 'kick it up a notch'

Old 09-08-2014, 11:51 AM   #33
Master Chef

More about the rice, Kgirl...

I had made what my kids used to call "green rice" with dinner the night before. For that, I cook the rice in oil and garlic, add a bag of fresh spinach with half the amount of water normally used. It's really good.

I used the leftovers for the Hawaiian fried rice, with fried Spam, celery, green onion, egg ribbons, and some of the grilled pineapple, chopped. I seasoned the whole thing with fish sauce, and soy sauce.
Boy, was it ever good!

I wish I had all those beautiful serving pieces, but I love my little oval bowl and use it nearly daily.

Yep, I marinated the pineapple spears before grilling and the addition of the chili heat was fantabulous.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicken, hawaii, hawaiian, recipe

Hawaiian Guava Chicken [SIZE="3"][U]Hawaiian Guava Chicken[/U][/SIZE] 1 can frozen Guava Juice concentrate, defrosted ½ C. Ketchup ½ C. Sugar ½ C. Soy Sauce ½ C. Oyster Sauce ¼ tsp. Chinese Five Spice 1 Garlic clove, smashed 5 pounds Chicken Thighs (I use boneless-skinless) Mix together the first seven ingredients Pour over the Chicken and marinate for 24 hours Grill or broil, using the marinade to baste the Chicken Serve either hot or at room temperature, great for a backyard barbecue, a picnic or a potluck. *Cook’s note-Guava Juice concentrate can be found in Asian and Hispanic markets [ATTACH]21693[/ATTACH] 3 stars 1 reviews