Help identifying food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dergyll

Assistant Cook
Ok I think this is an Asian food but I have no idea what it's called. I remember eating it when I was in China. It's basically a long bell pepper stuffed with meat and veggies and then fryed/grilled. The stuffing inside tasted so good...:chef:

Derg

Can't help with the Asian name/recipe of your dish...Hoever..I have friends across the river(Louisiana)that do a dish of fried stuffed peppers...of course with a Cajun/Creole flair...sho nuf good!!! Might get a recipe if interested.

dergyll, are you referring to Yong Tau Fu, a Hakka dish, which is popular in Singapore and Malaysia. It is a veggie dish that has long chilli pepper, lady's finger, eggplant, bittergourd stuffed with ground fish meat, deep fried and served with a sweet red chilli sauce or in soup form. In China, the mixed vegetables used may vary depending on the season.

Uncle Bob said:
Can't help with the Asian name/recipe of your dish...Hoever..I have friends across the river(Louisiana)that do a dish of fried stuffed peppers...of course with a Cajun/Creole flair...sho nuf good!!! Might get a recipe if interested.

Please do Bob...post away:)

2 lg. onions, finely diced
2 clove garlic, finely diced
2 1/2 sticks butter/margarine
1 1/2 lbs. shrimp/crawfish
1 lb. fresh crab meat
4 c. bread crumbs
1 tbsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper,
1/2 tsp. cayene
1 c. green onions and tops,
1/2 c. parsley,
4 lg. bell peppers

THE BATTER:
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup milk
1 c. cracker meal
1 c. fish-fry..
Peanut Oil

In heavy iron pot saute onions and garlic in butter until wilted and transparent. Add shrimp and crab meat. Cook 5 minutes. Add bread crumbs, salt, pepper, green onions and parsley. Cook another 15 minutes. Let stand until cool. Cut bell peppers into 3 parts lengthwise. Remove seeds and stems. Place cold stuffing on each piece of pepper and form into a ball. Make the batter by beating eggs and milk together in bowl. Mix cracker meal and fish-fry together in separate bowl. Roll stuffed peppers in meal mixture, then in egg mixture, and back again in meal. Fry in oil at 375 degrees until golden brown and hot throughout. For the brave at heart subsitute the bells with Jalapenos.

The on I ate in China had (I think, tasted like it) beef in it. I'll subtitude the seafood with meat if possible.

Thanks for the recipe!:chef:
Derg

I think most cultures around the world have their own versions of stuffed peppers. I know I have had Mexican, Italian, and Eastern European versions, but there are some unique peppers that come from Asia, so I'm sure they have many stuffed pepper dishes as well.

Back
Top Bottom