"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 01-21-2009, 09:50 PM   #11
Head Chef

Given we are Indian and my kids are used to this food so I don't have to worry too much. Having said that Indian food is an acquired taste and I can see why you need to make it more adjustable to a kids palate.

I would suggest a few things:

Chicken Malai tikka - It's skinless, boneless chunks of chicken that are marinated in some freshly grated ginger and then seasoned with some raw cashew nut paste, green chilies (you can add little or omit based on your kids taste), heavy cream, lemon, salt and chopped cilantro.

You can skewer them and cook them in an oven and serve them on the skewer.

I can also recommend kabab's which my kids go ga ga ga over made with ground turkey, lamb, beef or whatever meat you like. Season them the ground meat with minced ginger and add some freshly roasted and ground cumin, corrainder, finely chopped cilantro and mint and some superfine diced onions and salt. Let it all marinate for a bit and then shape them on skewers like a sausage (takes some practice) if you don't have time then just take a little mixture in your hand and shape it like a sausage and then place them on a baking dish and bake. Serve with ketchup,

My kids love shrimps so I make shrimp curry with some indian spices, coconut milk, sugar and lime juice. It's really mild and that over some rice in a bowl and they are happy campers.

Pakoras are O.K. but I tend to shy away from a lot of fried foods.

I also make samosas at home that are a big hit with the kids but again it's a time consuming task . If you have a lot of people over then making samosas is not ideal but you can do the following instead.

Make potato mixture like samosas (recipes are available by the dozen on the internet) and then instead of stuffing them in a samosa shell that is made from scratch, you can fill them in puff pastry squares, fold in triangles and bake. Even your friends will like it and if you keep it mild your kids will enjoy it too.

My kids also like sweet and savory chaat's (they are like snacks). We make one with garbanzo beans and potato. You make a yogurt sauce with plain yogurt, sweet tamarind chutney, freshly chopped cilantro, chopped onion, chopped tomato and some fresh cumin powder. You stir this together adjust spices sweetness and sourness to your taste and add a tiny bit of salt. Throw in the garbanzo beans and potatoes in the yogurt and let it sit in the refrigerator until it's cold. You top it with some crunchy (I like just salted baked pita chips or sev) and serve.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:31 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
Tandoori chicken is very very mild and the cool colour is kid friendly. Naan bread is great for kids to rip apart.

Go really authentic and eat with your fingers. The kids will love it and forget how picky they are.
I totally agree... Kids will love both chicken tandoori and naan...

Old 01-22-2009, 01:33 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Ok, I think things are beginning to form in my brain.

Pakoras would be easier than samosas. I'm just not sure I want to delve into deep frying. I'll have to think about that. I definitely like a chaat of some sort though. I like the idea of lassi too. It might get them excited to try something more.

Then I think I'll make a mild curry and simmer spicy kofta in half and some veggies in the rest. Right now, I'm thinking Cauliflower and carrots or pumpkin.

This thread is making me hungry . . . why is Saturday so far off?
Old 01-22-2009, 03:29 AM   #14
Sous Chef

You may try this recipe

Tarka or tadka

* 250 gm Tarka Dal (black lentil)
* 100 gm chopped onion
* 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
* 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
* 2 teaspoon chopped green chili
* 1/2 cup chopped tomato
* 1 spoonful crushed kastoori methi
* 1 bay leaf
* 2-tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
* 1 pinch turmeric powder
* Salt according to taste

Preparation:

1. Boil the dal in a pressure cooker and do not drain the water.
2. Mix the Kastoori methi powder with the boiled tarka.
3. Heat the ghee in a pan and sauté the bay leaf & add onion.
4. When onion become brown add whole amount of chopped spices .
5. Add the pre-boiled dal and also add turmeric powder, salt and cooked it for 5 minute.
6. Tarka is ready to serve with hot rotis or parathas, green chili and onion.
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #15
Master Chef

Regardless of what you decide to make, what's the worst that can happen? The kids won't eat. Big deal. From what I've seen of kids these days, many of them could stand to miss a meal or two. I'm assuming their parents have at least taught them enough manners so that they won't be making gagging sounds at the table should they not like what you've prepared?

I swear, I thank my lucky stars every single day that my parents always made us kids taste EVERYTHING once. They never forced us to continue to eat anything we decided we didn't like, but we did have to taste everything once. It sent me on a lifelong course of wonderful cooking & eating experiences, & even though my brother doesn't like to cook, he's continued to be open to trying anything & everything at least once!
Old 01-22-2009, 03:06 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Regardless of what you decide to make, what's the worst that can happen? The kids won't eat. Big deal. From what I've seen of kids these days, many of them could stand to miss a meal or two. I'm assuming their parents have at least taught them enough manners so that they won't be making gagging sounds at the table should they not like what you've prepared?

I swear, I thank my lucky stars every single day that my parents always made us kids taste EVERYTHING once. They never forced us to continue to eat anything we decided we didn't like, but we did have to taste everything once. It sent me on a lifelong course of wonderful cooking & eating experiences, & even though my brother doesn't like to cook, he's continued to be open to trying anything & everything at least once!
I make my kids taste everything too. If they don't like it, they can fix something else after I vacate the kitchen. I hope it serves them as well.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:40 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Check out: www.mamtaskitchen.

You could post a question and seek advice for mild curry recipies or simply browse the site.

All the best,
Archiduc
Old 01-24-2009, 04:36 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
Quote:
Originally Posted by deelady View Post
How is that not REAL Indian food....? the first time I have ever tried that was in an Indian restaurant and the family had only been in the U.S at most two years.....as well as a parent of one of my students once had me over thier house for a meal and she made the dish vegetarian style and I know very well thats she didn't learn the dish from here.....
Chicken Tikka Masala was invented in the UK. A friend of mine who traveled to India said that the dish did appear on menus of restaurants there, but usually with a description like "The classic English dish".
Old 01-24-2009, 06:18 AM   #19
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
This is probably too late for your planned dinner but keep in mind for next time.

Think Quesadillla but make with chapatis and a spiced potato and spinach filling.
Just make your own chapatis and cook first or buy frozen ones and cook off for a minute or so then add a good filling of cooked potato reheated with tomatoes and lightly spiced with cumin, coriander, turmeric, fresh ginger, black mustard seeds, chilli ( maybe optional for kiddies)fresh cilantro, and with steamed spinach added. Pop between 2 chapatis, press a little and reheat/crisp on both sides in a hot frypan. Cut and serve with something like sweet mango chutney and natural yogurt, Indian if you can find it.
Simple and very tasty.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:10 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

samosas a pretty tasty

for the filling you can use beef/lamb or vegetables/potatoes

and there are a ton of dipping sauces ie chutney

Tags
None